Anhydrous products - ROE, Vitamin E, GSE percentage?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catastrophe

Reaction score
I'm trying to finish my Christmas gifts and I'm working on the balms, salves, and lotion bars. I want to put some ROE/GSE/Vitamin E in them, but I apparently I didn't make a note of percentage to use, eek.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (Some of them will have short-shelf life oils, so I'd prefer to err on the side of caution, and I'm putting use by dates on them, as well.)

I bought my lip balm as a base from NG, so thankfully it's already got Vitamin E in it, and I don't plan to add ROE or GSE.

I've read a lot about making anhydrous lotions/body butters recently. ROE/GSE and V-E only extend the shelf life of carrier oils, but by how much is not determined or at least I cannot find that information. I have seen 1% to 1.5% used when discussing the addition of ROE/GSE and V-E. It would be wise to use oils that have a longer shelf life when giving away gifts. I like the idea of "Use before------"date. Please do not use ROE/GSE and V-E as a preservative.:)

I've read a lot about making anhydrous lotions/body butters recently. ROE/GSE and V-E only extend the shelf life of carrier oils, but by how much is not determined or at least I cannot find that information. I have seen 1% to 1.5% used when discussing the addition of ROE/GSE and V-E. It would be wise to use oils that have a longer shelf life when giving away gifts. I like the idea of "Use before------"date. Please do not use ROE/GSE and V-E as a preservative.:)

I know they aren't preservatives, but if they can help slow the grapeseed going rancid, I felt they were beneficial. I didn't use any short shelf life oils in my cuticle balm, but I did use 4 ounces of grapeseed in a 30oz lotion bar batch. I know it's been said using a lot percentage of short oils in CP soap helps in preventing DOS, but I'm thinking a low percent in a lotion bar is different. Time will tell, I'm keeping good records of "birth dates" for what I'm making, and will keep samples of everything just to observe how it performs.

I know they aren't preservatives, but if they can help slow the grapeseed going rancid, I felt they were beneficial. I didn't use any short shelf life oils in my cuticle balm, but I did use 4 ounces of grapeseed in a 30oz lotion bar batch. I know it's been said using a lot percentage of short oils in CP soap helps in preventing DOS, but I'm thinking a low percent in a lotion bar is different. Time will tell, I'm keeping good records of "birth dates" for what I'm making, and will keep samples of everything just to observe how it performs.

Back