Anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mensasnem

Reaction score
I recently made some anhydrous magnesium sulfate (2,070 g) and was wondering what I might do with it besides use it as a desiccant. Is anhydrous magnesium sulfate of any value in soap making?

I'm going to see whether anhydrous magnesium sulfate will work as an accelerant when making gypsum -- nothing to do with soap.

Seems like you could add it to your soap batter to accelerate trace -- if you had a batch that seemed like it was never going to get there.

I know it can be used to pull the water out of alcohol and up the percentage of alcohol -- substantially.

Last edited:
I have no idea what anhydrous magnesium sulfate is but I do know magnesium isn't a good additive to soap.
It helps create soap scum, reduces lather and at high enough amounts, prevents soap from forming properly.

ETA: Google tells me this is epsom salt? I know some people have used it in salt bars and it just doesn't work. I suppose a tiny bit would be ok but its not really needed.

Epson Salt is the common name of the heptahydrate (seven water) "version" of magnesium sulfate. I started with Epson Salt and baked off all the water. Anhydrous means without water. It makes a really good desiccant because it really loves water -- will pull it right out of the air and won't give it back unless you get it really hot.

OK. I won't put any in my soap. Thanks.

But it seems likely that it will accelerate the process of making gypsum.

Latest posts

Back