And the cut......

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, pic from my soapathon. In order....
Nag Champa, Black raspberry vanilla, Honey suckle, Persephone's kiss, heavenly. Honey suckle accelerated some. Heavenly accelerated big time and got away from me. There are other issues also.
20220105_071854.jpg
20220105_072149.jpg

Looks like your soapy equivalent of a quarter horse (or cattle dog) managed to corral the one that got away, and bring it safely home. 🤠

Seriously, they all look great, Ford. Well done.

Last edited:
Very nice. Honeysuckle does that. I ended up with blobs of orange in yellow instead of a nice delicate swirl. Going to try again.

Nag Champa, now at least, is pure synthetic. I've read that it's supposed to be a blend of Sandalwood and Frangipani (Plumeria). That being said, fragrance oils labeled 'Nag Champa' should all smell very, very similar ... but they don't, necessarily. Dragon's Blood fragrance oils are even worse - I've smelled very spicy ones all the way to very floral ones ... no real standard. (I tried one Dragon's Blood, from a company I really like no less, that smells so different that if I 'blind tested' it, I wouldn't even know it was supposed to be Dragons Blood!) Of course, Nag 'should' be more simple, but it's all in the Sandalwood note. I've used essential oils since the early 90s and I've yet to try a Sandalwood fragrance from any company that smells like real sandalwood. Which is why I don't have a sandalwood soap - lol. Granted, I haven't tried all companies, but if anyone knows of one that smells 'real' ... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE chime in!!!!! (I've read too many reviews that sing the praises of a particular sandalwood fragrance oil, saying it smells soooooooo wonderful, just to 1) have them say at the end that they've never smelled the real thing or 2) I order it and sure, it smells really really good ... but not like sandalwood! I understand that real sandalwood has been rare for long enough now that most people don't know what it really smells like, and that's a shame! It's like if chocolate became rare and nearly extinct and people then promoted carob as chocolate. Can you imagine a whole generation or two of people thinking carob tasted like chocolate?!?! Obviously we have imitation chocolate that tastes more like chocolate than carob does, but you get my meaning.)
Sorry for the sandalwood rant. :)

Back