And how long is CP good for?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campbellsoap

Reaction score
We have been in our house for 19 yrs and I'm NOT good at cleaning cabinets out. I was looking for something under my sink and found a sack with homemade soap in it!! I can not remember when I got it!!! The sack is not a Silver Dollar City sack so I have no idea. I tried it and it lathers fine the smell is faint. All I know is it's over 12 yrs old.

It had no label on it. It was wrapped in a small piece of wax paper and then in a plain paper bag.

Just thought I would share.

jackie

Cool! I live neat Silver Dollar City in SW MO. Did you visit SDC and thought the soap was from there? I know that as long as it does not go rancid, the soap should be fine for umpteen years. I have my soap that is a mere 2-1/2 years old that is GREAT lathering and conditioning soap still. Thanks for sharing.... :wink:

Paul

Paul,

I live in Central Arkansas so Silver Dollar City was as far as we ever went on vacation as a kid. Hubby and I went to Branson for our honeymoon and have been back bunches since.

Hubby's uncle has a couple of mobile homes on Table Rock Lake as weekend houses.

Paul have you ever heard of the craft shows at War Eagle? Near Eureka Springs, Arkansas?

Anyhow, how do you know if soap is rancid?

jackie

What will happen if you use a rancid soap?? (since it got brought up and all... :wink: )

From my reading, rancid soaps actually pose no harm but do not smell good. I've never had or wanted an opportunity to test that theory. I personally would not use a rancid soap but once read of a person that will for personal use. How gross is that?

CPSoaper said:
From my reading, rancid soaps actually pose no harm but do not smell good. I've never had or wanted an opportunity to test that theory. I personally would not use a rancid soap but once read of a person that will for personal use. How gross is that?

Extremely gross :shock: Especially when you can just make new, non rancid soap!

I think It may give you a smelly attitude! Bad one at that.

CPSoaper said:

Maybe the guy/gal thought the soap smelled better than his/her BO!! Peeeeeee... UUU!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert

About a year ago on another forum, someone posted a link to E-Bay where up for bid was a piece of soap from an abandoned log cabin they were tearing down. It was wrapped in news print from the late 1800's if I remember correctly. Yup, soap that was over 100 years old! It was butt ugly, but still soap. :lol:

Latest posts

Back