Anchoring fragrance with baking soda

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reallyrita

Reaction score
This was mentioned briefly in a recent post. Does anyone know how to use baking soda to anchor the fragrance?

Um that would change the balance of your other ingredients such as the lathering properties because baking soda is salty.

but if it helps anchor the scent, I have no clue.

i was told by a long time soapmaker years ago to use cornstarch to do this.

i did so for awhile and while i can't say it actually helped with any of the fragrance oils i used, i have had other people say it gave the soap a silky feeling.

i mixed 1 T cornstarch per 4 oz. fo, into my fragrance oils and mixed it well to dissolve all the lumps and bumps.

barb

Hi!

Citrus EO's tend to fade in soap and other B&B. Even Orange 5X will fade without an anchor and often with one too. Sometimes anchoring a scent by blending it with other EOs will allow it to last longer. Individual recipes (soap) effect the outcome so the best thing to do is try different blends and see what works out for you.

Litsea is a good anchor for citrus scents. Patchouli works well too. I've not heard of using baking soda to anchor scents only to lower the ph.

I buy the much less expensive Patch Oil to anchor some EO's and a few FO's. I can give you a great source for the Chinese Patch Oil I buy. :wink:

Paul

by anchoring a scent, you mean it helps give it staying power correct? and you mention litsea and patchouli....is there something specific about these two eos? are there other anchoring eos? i saw this post and have been thinking about the reasoning for a few days.

i just finished up an aromatherapy course and when blending you use a top note (ex. lemon, orange, basil), a middle note (lavender, rosemary), and a base note (cedar, sandalwood, patchouli, rose). Now, the base notes tend to last longer and round out the blend. is this the idea of anchoring? using a base note? or is it just some kind of chemical property of these two oils that acts as a fixative? litsea is considered a top note in aromatherapy...

i just need to know why everything works! :)

WFP, I don't know the exact "why and how" the patch works, but it does. :D I have been using the Chinese Patch Oil for 6 months now. I only add about a teaspoon for a 2 pound batch. I'm sure somewhere on the net there is the info you are requesting. The less expensive patch oil works great for this. I bought a pound a 6 months ago.

Paul :wink:

Take from http://www.abcperfumes.co.uk/perfumeingredients

"Sandalwood is used in aromatherapy and also does double-duty in the perfume world since it can serve as a fixative or anchor to other scents. Sandalwood has never really gone out of style. Today it's in lots of scents, including Dior Addict by Dior, Escada Magnetism, Hanae Mori Butterly, and the Cartier scent Delices de Cartier."

and from http://www.shivaexportsindia.com/Patcho ... earch.html

"Patchouli is considered a base-note or anchor."

so, i'm not sure i answered my question entirely...i am too fried to think aBout it too much more today!

however, other "base notes" like cedar, sandalwood, etc. could be used to anchor scents in soap....

Where do I get this Chinese Oil Patch?

Is it natural? I'm also having a lot of troubling getting my soaps to hold their scent. I am using a hand-milled recipe, and only add the scent after the soap has cooled down after this process. I have added a LOT of scent about 1.5 oz per 2 lbs. of soap of essential oil (can't remember the exact measurements).

Do you think corn starch will help?

I only used the essential oil of the main scent I was using, like Lavender. I've seen some sites that also use fragrance oil with the essential. Should that help? Do the "fixatives" like patchouli and litsea chemically bind the scent in or just provide base notes?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I recently came across a product called Aroma Fix from LotionCrafters. It is supposed to anchor some types of fragrances (herbal and floral) in B and B and in soap. Has anyone had any experience with this? I don't have any buy was just wondering....

As anchors, I use patchouli, litsea, cedarwood, and sometimes even vanilla. Someone once said that perhaps adding some castor oil to the batch also helps retain scent, maybe because it is quite thick, rich and viscous. I'm not sure, but I always add some castor to my CP soaps, and they retain their scents very well. I also store them in plastic boxes with lids after a 4 week cure.

Someone asked me in a PM where I buy my less expensive patch oil. I buy it here on E-Bay from;

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-oz-Patchouli-100 ... m153.l1262

It is from China not Indonesian, but as a anchor, or even by itself, not bad for the price. It is real Patch EO, not cut or deluded. They ship fast too. I have bought several EO's from them, all very decent! :wink:

Paul

Thanks for that link Paul....their shipping prices seem very reasonable also....I put them in my favorite sellers to check out a later time.....no monies now :cry:

LYE EYE :shock:

how much "anchor" do you use? i just made a big batch of sweet orange scented soap and decided to give patchouli a shot as an anchor to see how it works. I used 1 oz ppo (4 oz total) sweet orange and 1/4 oz total of patchouli in 4 lbs soap. will this be enough to help anchor?

i've got another batch of orange that i made a while ago, its still hanging on, but the scent has definately faded so i thought i'd give this a try....

When I make "orange peel" I use 1 part patchouli to 3 parts orange eo. It is a wonderful scent. I have to admit that I didn't like the patchouli smell at first, but now I love it with orange. Give a nice natural earthy smell and unlike other scents, you can smell it on you after the shower.

Paul, I ordered from the source you gave from e-bay. You were right, they did ship fast and gave me a great discount on shipping. I haven't tried the e. o.'s yet, but will shortly. Thanks for the tip.

Back