an online friend has asked me to make them a patchouli scented soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skayc1

Reaction score
and ordered a 2 oz of pathouli EO to be sent to me...what is the best way to make the EO stick?

I made 3 lbs of soap using 41 ml of patchouli (1.4 oz) and the scent has stuck well without any special precautions. For me patchouli tends to stick well.

But clay is always a good addition :)

Seawolfe's soaps (made w/EO, which to me are even harder to get to stick) hold scent really well. Sea, my mom came over yesterday and I made her compare your soaps to mine w/r/t strength of fragrance and she voted for yours. Unloyal so and so :)

My online friend likes straight patchouli. I've never tried patchouli except for BB's Ginger Patchouli whic I think smells like old english.

Which is funny, because I usually use the "medium" strength on BB's fragrance calculator. FWIW most of my EO's are from Soap Making Resource, and I find them reliable as far as not sticking around.
Nyah nyah your mom liked my soaps better :p
Seawolfe's soaps (made w/EO, which to me are even harder to get to stick) hold scent really well. Sea, my mom came over yesterday and I made her compare your soaps to mine w/r/t strength of fragrance and she voted for yours. Unloyal so and so :)

I've found that patch sticks more for me than any other eo I've ever used... I hate the smell personally though so maybe I'm just sensitive to it but it fills up my entire house and I actually have to box it up and keep it in the garage while waiting for it to sell

I can't stand the smell of patchouli(to the point of nausea). If you have never used it, I would advise you sniff it first so that you can plan to soap and store it outside in case you can't stand it either.

Patchouli sticks with no problem for me as well. I don't care for it but it's a really good seller for me. I have a couple customers that buy it by the loaf (14 bars) at a time special order

Not only does patchouli EO stick really well, it helps make other scents stick better, both FOs and EOs. For straight patch, I find 1 1/2 oz in my 2 lb mold is strong enough for most people (and waaay too strong for those that don't like patchouli). I personally love it, and I like to blend it too.

Back