Amount of salt in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’ve been trying to consistently soap once a week. I’m trying different recipes, additives etc. I was going to make a salt bar on Friday, but work got in the way and I had to put it off. The recipe I have is from soaping 101
80% coconut oil
15% olive, pomace
5% Shea butter
The salt is at 75%
From what I’ve read here, salt should be at 50%. Please know I say “should” hesitantly. My gut is telling me to make it 50%. What do you think? Stick to her recipe or not? I’m making a 1lb batch and also adding 1 tsp of activated charcoal. Thanks for any input.
Happy soaping and knitting.

I think the amount of salt ends up being personal preference. I've settled on 50% as what I like best. I agree with leaving out the butters - I tried salt bars with cocoa butter once and didn't like it. I'd add the 5% to the coconut or use castor oil at 5%.

I think the amount of salt ends up being personal preference. I've settled on 50% as what I like best. I agree with leaving out the butters - I tried salt bars with cocoa butter once and didn't like it. I'd add the 5% to the coconut or use castor oil at 5%.

I agree with this. I’ve tried butters in my salt soap and don’t care for it. Cuts lather even with 18 month cure.

I have never used a salt bar. Excited to try it. Thank you for your advice.

I use 50% myself. Though sometime 40%.
Thank you. I have some experimenting to do.

Thank you! I’m taking it all in.

I recently made a salt bar with 40% salt (% of oils) and 8% Shea that is super lathery and awesome.

Good luck!
Cool. Thanks you for your input.

I agree with this. I’ve tried butters in my salt soap and don’t care for it. Cuts lather even with 18 month cure.
I hear they take a long time to cure. Thank you for your help.

I really like 75% in my soap. It's all a matter of preference and trying new things.
Oh, great. Maybe I’ll try the recipe as is first. Thank you!

I use 40% on average, but I quite like Shea butter and sugar in them as well.
Thank you so much for the tips.

The only reason I’d suggest starting at 50% is that it may be easier for a first-time salt bar maker.

Working with medium trace is best for keeping the salt suspended, rather than having it sink to the bottom of the bars like it does with a thinner trace. And the more salt you add, the thicker the batter becomes. It can be challenging for even the experienced soapers to get this thick batter into the mold without having air pockets.

Banging down the mold helps with that, for sure. If you can use plain cavity molds instead of a loaf mold, that would be great, too. Then you don’t need to worry about getting the mold details sharp, or trying to time the cut before the bars are too hard and crumbly.

Have fun, and don’t forget to post pics!

The only reason I’d suggest starting at 50% is that it may be easier for a first-time salt bar maker.

Working with medium trace is best for keeping the salt suspended, rather than having it sink to the bottom of the bars like it does with a thinner trace. And the more salt you add, the thicker the batter becomes. It can be challenging for even the experienced soapers to get this thick batter into the mold without having air pockets.

Banging down the mold helps with that, for sure. If you can use plain cavity molds instead of a loaf mold, that would be great, too. Then you don’t need to worry about getting the mold details sharp, or trying to time the cut before the bars are too hard and crumbly.

Have fun, and don’t forget to post pics!
Thank you. As a novice who is having trouble getting my soap consistency just right, I’m going full steam. Trying it all! Lol. Fearless and curious.

I went with my original recipe. 75% salt. I’ll continue experimenting to see what I prefer. Thank you, everyone
55FA2FDF-3A8A-428A-A034-45A96B8AAE20.jpeg
3431E750-2676-4F84-9D78-5F6497719671.jpeg

Back