amount of lard to use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkflash54

Reaction score
so while i was visiting family this weekend for christmas parties, i was able to go to an amish grocery store. I bought a two pound chunk of lard to use for soaping. what percent of lard should a recipe be? Does anyone have any favorite lard recipes they would like to share? Thanks

sure... 94% lard 6% castor oil... :)
or 100% lard... :)
if you use palm it has similar properties for soap but you will need t run it through a lye calculator to get the correct amount of lye.

I do lard, olive and coconut oil all at 30%, then 5% of a butter and 5% of a specialty oils such as avocado or almond.

awesome, thanks for the help :) i didn't know you could do 100 percent lard. i could sub it for palm in some of my recipes...i have some experimenting to do this week :D

I LOVE LARD SOAP! And my customers don't seem to be put off, either.

I've had good results with a good deal of lard in my soaps so far (knock on wood). It makes a nice hard bar and the lather seems to be very creamy and rich. I combine with other oils, olive coconut and such. My DH thinks it smells like lard for a few weeks--I've started playing around EO's and FO's.....less complaints about the lard smell from him.

I use lard a lot and up to 50% of my recipe. I love to play with soapcalc and come up with my own recipes.

Back