amount of essential oil per pound of soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkflash54

Reaction score
About how much essential oil can be added per pound of oils? I want to make sure i have enough.

A lot depends on the particular EO, which ones are you wanting to use? Some can be sensitizing and have to be used very sparingly, others can safely be used at a higher amount PPO.

I go by this rule:

2 to 2.5% of EO for normal people with no sensitive skin
0.5 to 1% of EO for sensitive folks, pregnant women, and babies. I also use this dilution for irritating oils.

Hope this helps

soapopera said:
I go by this rule:

2 to 2.5% of EO for normal people with no sensitive skin
0.5 to 1% of EO for sensitive folks, pregnant women, and babies. I also use this dilution for irritating oils.

Hope this helps

***** Pregnant women should consult their MD before use of any EO's :)

2 % EO will mean about a third of an ounce per pound of mixed-soap. That would be your total EOs, if you are mixing together several.

IanT said:
***** Pregnant women should consult their MD before use of any EO's :)

Sorry IanT :oops: . I should have elaborate a bit more. Pregnant women and babies should consult their physicians before using any EOs. The dilution given is assuming they have been given the greenlight for it.

Also people react differently to EOs. For example in most aromatheraphy text, it stated it's safe to use neat Tea Tree on blemish or minor cuts. But my skin is sensitive to neat Tea Tree and therefore need to be diluted.

I use between .5 oz. per pound of oils (for mints etc.) and 1 oz. ppo (lavender). Patchouli I add at .7 oz. ppo. Since I usually blend my eo's I add them at .7 oz. ppo. As Tess said, it just depends on the eo. If I added eo's at 2.5% my soap wouldn't be scented strongly enough to suit me. That would work out to be less than 5 oz. per batch and I use at least 8 oz.

dottie

Back