amount of EO in cold process vs hot process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalia

Reaction score
I saw that there is a difference in the recommended amount of EO in the EOCALC web for the cold process soap and the hot process soap even if they are the same category, category 9. for the cold process, they recommended up to 5% and for the hot process up to 3%.
somebody knows why?

IMO, it's because the scent in HP soap tends to stay stronger, so you can use less scent in HP soap and still get the same results. I normally use a fair bit less scent in lotion, lip balm, HP soap, etc. than I do in CP soap. Just my opinion, though.

In my experience the aroma does stay a little better in HP than CP, probably something to do with the lye reaction as the EO/FO is coming into contact directly with lye, but I have no idea if there is science behind this theory. But having said that I would never use more than 3% in either process.

Like DeeAnna I use a lot less in lotions but I use max fragrance in both hp and cp soap. I also do not necessarily base my percentage on the amount of oils but on total batch weight, so it can have a much higher amount of fragrance than many use. Normally when I figure fragrance I figure out based on % x ppo then % x total batch weight and find a happy medium that is not over IFRA guidelines. Hope that was not too much information.

Like DeeAnna I use a lot less in lotions but I use max fragrance in both hp and cp soap. I also do not necessarily base my percentage on the amount of oils but on total batch weight, so it can have a much higher amount of fragrance than many use. Normally when I figure fragrance I figure out based on % x ppo then % x total batch weight and find a happy medium that is not over IFRA guidelines. Hope that was not too much information.

Of course here in the UK we are governed by the safety assessment which usually limits as far as I am aware most EO/FO to a maximum of 3%. But I have noticed a distinct different in the lasting power within HP as opposed to CP.
Definitely not too much information, your method makes total sense but that would not be allowed in the UK.

Thanks you all for the information, I had some hope that maybe the IFRA "allowd" more than 3%

Thanks you all for the information, I had some hope that maybe the IFRA "allowd" more than 3%
IFRA and EU safety assessments are two different things but do kind of cross paths as the safety assessors are guided by IFRA. I think IFRA takes which components in an EO/FO and gives the guide line on its maximum safety level. The EU safety assessment tends to blanket a maximum of 3% on any EO/FO unless of course its a dodgy one like clove or the like where it would be dangerous and only tiny percentages are allowed. I think thats about the rough guide it! others might know more detail as I dont sell so dont have a need for a safety assessment.

Back