Ammonium Lactate Lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerelife

Reaction score
My husband is in his early 60's and bruises at the drop of a hat. Big ugly bruises. All of his labwork consistently checks out normal, so today the doctor mentioned that he might try Ammonium Lactate lotion.
From what I've found for this is seems to be mainly for dry skin, but we're willing to give it a try.
I'm just wondering if I can make it myself without all the fillers and bad stuff that commercial products usually contain? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My husband is in his early 60's and bruises at the drop of a hat. Big ugly bruises. All of his labwork consistently checks out normal, so today the doctor mentioned that he might try Ammonium Lactate lotion.
From what I've found for this is seems to be mainly for dry skin, but we're willing to give it a try.
I'm just wondering if I can make it myself without all the fillers and bad stuff that commercial products usually contain? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You can buy lactic acid 90% at Lotioncrafter. You can mix it with any lotion recipe you want. You have to be careful of the percentages and with thin skin that apparently is causing the bruising you have to use much much less. The normal dilution is 1 part Lactic acid 90% to 6 parts lotion to equal 12.8% which is the normal dilution. But you would have to use less. If you use 1 part Lactic acid to 7 parts lotion you get 11.2 % obviously I would start much lower at about 5 or 6 % to test for a reaction such as redness or irritation as in higher amounts it can burn your skin. With all of that being said if you do not have experience with these type of products you should get more familiar or not make it at all. Lactic acid in itself has its own issues. You would need a sunscreen as well as Lactic acid 90% increases sun sensitivity. I am not encouraging you to make it, just want you to have the information to make an informed decision.

With all of that being said if you do not have experience with these type of products you should get more familiar or not make it at all.

This is what I'm currently doing - talking to the doctors whom I work with and doing my own research. I don't make products that I haven't thoroughly researched even for our own personal use.
From what I've learned via my docs and my research, the amount of lactic acid in commercial Ammonium Lactate lotion is neutralized by some of other ingredients. I may not have been clear with my original post, but what I want to avoid are parabens and fillers and I was curious if anyone else on the forum had practical knowledge of making this particular lotion.
While I appreciate your input, your condescension isn't needed or helpful.

This is what I'm currently doing - talking to the doctors whom I work with and doing my own research. I don't make products that I haven't thoroughly researched even for our own personal use.
From what I've learned via my docs and my research, the amount of lactic acid in commercial Ammonium Lactate lotion is neutralized by some of other ingredients. I may not have been clear with my original post, but what I want to avoid are parabens and fillers and I was curious if anyone else on the forum had practical knowledge of making this particular lotion.
While I appreciate your input, your condescension isn't needed or helpful.

Yes the lactic acid you add will be neutralized by whatever you add it to as the base lotion in the proper percentages that I outlined. You will avoid parabens and fillers if you make your own lotion recipe without all the other stuff you don't want in it. You will however need a preservative which you cannot avoid as the lotion will contain water.

Latest posts

Back