Amino acid soap Base

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattanjeet

Reaction score
Dear all
I found out from Instagram that there is one amino acid soap base which looks absolute transparent. My question is that how amino acid soap base is different from the Trandparend melt and pour soap base.
There is not much information on net.Though it says that it is good for the skin...
Does anyone know?

Link?

Without further information, it's a wild guessing game. Is it a central constituent, or do they just add some for label appeal?

Amino acids by themselves traditionally play no role in soapmaking, except as building blocks for some syndets like cocoyl glutamate or cocamidopropyl betaine. At least the latter I've seen in a M&P recipe, but I'd never dare call it “amino acid-based” for that reason. But ye know, marketing 🤷‍♀️

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CK-Nx-ZnbhT/?utm_medium=share_sheet
Link?

Without further information, it's a wild guessing game. Is it a central constituent, or do they just add some for label appeal?

Amino acids by themselves traditionally play no role in soapmaking, except as building blocks for some syndets like cocoyl glutamate or cocamidopropyl betaine. At least the latter I've seen in a M&P recipe, but I'd never dare call it “amino acid-based” for that reason. But ye know, marketing 🤷‍♀️

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CK-Nx-ZnbhT/?utm_medium=share_sheet
I think it's not opening.If I see something on insta, how do I share it with you on this forum?

Hi,
I tried sending you a link but when tried myself I think it is not opening.
I have tried click the photo, just see if you can figure out.
Just look at the transparency of the soap. It's amazing
The amino acid soap looks something like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210923-221303_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210923-221303_Instagram.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20210923-221258_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210923-221258_Instagram.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 74
Oof, idk. Bad in Japanese 🙃
And they're probably also reluctant to disclose their business secret too generously.

Another thing for “amino” rather than “amino acid” is triethanolamin, which is an interesting alternative base (milder than NaOH, yet not as stinky as ammonia), and included in some M&P recipes.

And they're probably also reluctant to disclose their business secret too generously.
Another thing for “amino” rather than “amino acid” is triethanolamin, which is an interesting alternative base (milder than NaOH, yet not as stinky as ammonia), and included in some M&P recipes.

Spot on, Mr. Owl, my hat is off (feel free to choose the one you like the best...🎩👒⛑ )

At least the video I found. It is a youtuber that makes this amino acid soap
5 ingredients: Cocoyl Glutamic Acid, Glycerine, Propylene Glycol, Triethanolamine, Distilled Water.

Hopefully this was helpful to you, @Rattanjeet ?

My Japanese is weak, but I know enough that they're not talking about the soap recipe. Saying thanks and talking about the Instagram app.

Yvonne's video & recipe

【配方/Recipe】
椰油醯基谷胺酸/Cocoyl glutamic acid: 350g
丙二醇/propylene glycol: 90g
甘油/glycerin: 100g
純水/purified water: 175g
三乙醇胺/triethanol amine: 250g
茉莉花瓣香精/demure jasmine petals fragrance oil: 20ml
氨基酸起泡劑/sodium lauroyl methylaminopropionate: 35g
金箔/gold foil: 適量/moderate

Thank you all for all the info

Thank you for the input
Do you know anything about it. I mean , how good or bad is it for the skin.. if people of all age can use it.

As you rightly pointed out, there is hardly any information available on google.

Thank you all for the input 😊

Anyone sourcing the cocoyl glutamic acid? So far I found one supplier in the Philippians but they do not ship to North America.

I am super stoked! Not only did they ship me cocoyl glutamic acid for making amino soap, but they also had the ingredients for oxygenating creams and color changing lip dyes! I have so much fun ahead of me in the lab. I cannot wait to play with these HTF ingredients. Dan9250 thank you once again~ I spent a pretty penny, but it was worth it to get my hands on these raw ingredients.

Thank you all for all the info

Thank you for the input
Do you know anything about it. I mean , how good or bad is it for the skin.. if people of all age can use it.

As you rightly pointed out, there is hardly any information available on google.

Thank you all for the input 😊

You may have to do a deep dive into research papers to answer your question on how beneficial or safe it may or may not be to skin.

My opinion, is because the tiny amount of amino acid in the soap bar is useless in providing any benefit. One bar of soap lasts through several showers, so there is only a fraction of the small amount of amino acid even being released during each use. Also, soap doesn’t stay on the skin and is rinsed off too quickly. So, I don’t see a point in using it….other than label appeal.

You may have to do a deep dive into research papers to answer your question on how beneficial or safe it may or may not be to skin.

My opinion, is because the tiny amount of amino acid in the soap bar is useless in providing any benefit. One bar of soap lasts through several showers, so there is only a fraction of the small amount of amino acid even being released during each use. Also, soap doesn’t stay on the skin and is rinsed off too quickly. So, I don’t see a point in using it….other than label appeal.
Thank you

I was more interested in making a facial soap and embedding florals in the clear base that normally would just darken and brown with the higher pH soap on the market. It is a market appeal gimmick for sure, but a fun aesthetic is what I am hoping to achieve.

I'm glad I could help. Have fun, and please share the results.
I will!

In addition to Fatty Acids, Amino Acid Surfactants (or soap) commonly contain one or more Amino Acids - examples: Glutamic Acid and Aspartic Acid. I've been experimenting with Glutamic Acid. Similar to fatty acids, it forms sodium glutamate once reacted with sodium hydroxide and imparts a silky-smooth and hydrating effect.

Ref. Chapter: Amino Acid-Based Surfactants for Biomedical Applications

Last edited:
Back