American soapers help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Could someone please let me know what the cheapest method of shipping is from the US to UK? The reason I ask is I've come 3rd in the Great Cakes May challenge and have won a $50 gift certificate but their lowest shipping cost is $68! I also think I'll probably be hit with duty fees when it hits the UK. So I was wondering if any of my lovely soapy friends would allow me to have it shipped to them to then forward onto me using whatever is the cheapest option but marking it as a gift so I avoid the duty charges?

USPS flat rate probably. Depending on what you order - if you get micas in bags a small flat rate box is about $25 US.

Might have another idea, but it might mean waiting til August to get your stuff, and I have to ask my bf if he would mind helping.

Congrats on your win!

I swear, if I get to visit the UK again, I am totally going to fill my luggage with FOs from US stores and sell them to you guys. I bet I could pay for my flight!

Hey, can you post your city and postal code? My day job does a lot of shipping and we get good rates. I will see if I can get some quotes and let you know. I plugged in some random numbers - a 5 lb medium box would have a $150 shipping with FedEx. :(

Thanks dixiedragon but I think I'd have the same issue with customs duty charges if it came from another business since they won't be able to declare it as a gift

Isn`t it terrible with those shippingcharges we have to deal with?

I made a tiny mock-order from Camden Grey today of 1 oz of Versagel, just to get a ballpark of what the shippingcharges would be to Norway.

$145.80 thankyouverymuch. No other options (i.e flat rate)

I'd have the package shipped via USPS first class international if the package is 4 pounds or less. That's about as economical as it gets.

Problem with UPS, FedEx, etc. is they charge brokerage fees in addition to the shipping cost. These brokerage fees are assessed after the package is shipped, so it's tough to know what the total shipping charge really is until it's too late.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, Newbie has very kindly said she will be happy to forward onto me using what I believe is USPS 1st class (she mentioned the less than 4lb thing so assumed from that)

Latest posts

Back