Ambitious newbie wants to run

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutterly_uts

Reaction score
So I have 3 batches of soap under my belt now. I'm 90% happy with my 3rd recipe after taking on advice from a bunch of places but I know there is always room to improve it so 4th batch will have a tiny tweak and then I expect to be 99% happy with it - I do still have at least a fortnight to wait to use all the current bars to see how they are though.

Anyway I'd like to create a frozen inspired soap for a handful of little girls I know who I know will LOVE it. I have an idea of what I want it to look like, but not sure how to achieve it/what to use to get there.

I've had the idea of layered soap with a frosted top.

I think with my skill level a 3 layer soap is achievable? I'm thinking an ice blue layer, a white layer with silver or glittery soap confetti in it, another ice blue layer and then peaked top with some silver glitter.

So. What do I need?
Would this give me the ice blue I want?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N8PLSF2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Is there a way to make silver soap? And glitter suitable for soap?

Edit - Am in the UK so may have a harder job finding things so links please :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that'll give you the shade you are after if your recipe doesn't have a lot of dark oils in it.

Will this be your first attempt at color? Your first attempt at colored layers? If you are up for it, go for it. But if it's the first time, make sure your recipe is slow moving (doesn't trace too fast) because color and layering slows down the whole process of filling the mold.

What is your recipe? That might help with giving advice along those lines.

Titanium Dioxide will help you achieve a very white layer, if your recipe isn't already a pure white. You can order from Amazon if that is what you prefer or another soaper in the UK can give you reliable resources. (I am in the US, and don't know UK suppliers.)

I use a mica color called 'silver graphite' that creates a really silvery color, depending on how much I use and the base oils. But shipping would be too much to the UK, hardly worth it for you, I would think. But if you can find a grey-ish mica that is shimmery you can get a nice silver, again depending on your base oils color intensity and how much of the mica you use. There are some on Amazon, but I think a soap supplier in the UK would be a better choice as they would have more to choose from.

Yes, there are glitters you can use in soap. Some are available on Amazon, but a supplier in the UK would have more to choose from.

Look on this page for a silver mica (just an example; I have no idea if the supplier is a good one or not. It is in the UK.)

Last edited:
my recipe is lard, olive oil, coconut butter, mango butter and castor oil going from largest to smallest amounts. When I added the FO to the hanger swirl batch it did accelerate but I am going to repeat doing it as suggested on other thread to see if changes how quickly -if not, I know what to expect as I want to use the same FO again this time

I've only done my hanger swirl playing with a purple soap dye so this is a whole new thing.

Do I make this soap all together, or do I make the first blue bit, then a bit later do the white confetti layer, then later again the final blue?

I still suggest m&p especially for little girls. There are some frozen figure silicone molds on etsy. You can make figures and snowflakes and embed them in another plain m&p soap with your ice blue. Clear m&p will give a beautiful clear blue

these the colors you were thinking of?

Coincidentally a week or two before that tutorial was posted I made salt bars using the same color and fragrance. They're super pretty and in person the blue does remind me of the shade of blue from the DVD box.

In terms of ambition, if you feel comfortable with all the fiddle bits the go for it. My advice would be to not expect straight layers (that will come with practice), mix your batch to emulsion then separate for colors/layers, mix each layer to med/thick trace before pouring. The confetti layer is going to be heavy and you'll want to make sure the bottom layer can support it.

Those are exactly the colors I was thinking of! I wonder if following that tutorial might be a good idea then trying it my way.. things to ponder for sure

For layer pouring, I find the video (below) posted on YouTube by Soapish to be very helpful. In it, she outlines two different ways of pouring cold process soap layers, either of which could be utilized. For layers, I have found that pouring at thin trace makes for a straighter layer as long as it has enough time to set up before the next layer is added (so the next layer doesn't break through). It's kind of like if you poured water into one mold and muffin batter into another. The water will automatically level itself out and create a smooth surface, whereas the muffin batter will need to be tapped down and smoothed out, which I find will create a slightly bumpy surface no matter how much I fiddle with leveling it. But you may have a steadier hand and be much better at that part than I am!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1XOyyMbbzY[/ame]

Latest posts

Back