Am I the only one who...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
... spends an inordinate amount of time planning soap designs in my head? I'm telling you, it's simply ridiculous how much time my brain spends plotting out ways to create a soap design LOL.

On a more serious note, how do you plan your soaps? Do you map them out step by step?

I'm very visual, so mine usually start with a sketch of what I want the soap to look like, then I do a breakdown of the steps needed to create each element to achieve the end design.

ETA and planning doesn't guarantee I'll succeed, that's for sure LOL (eyeballing my ugly soaps waiting in the soon to be confetti'd line)

Last edited:
Nope. I'm more of a "pour and pray" kind of gal. Whenever I plan something it never comes out remotely like what is in my head. I "think" Monet and I "do" Pollock. I plan "Water Lilies" and end up with "Mural". It's all good. Soap is soap and you get clean in the end; but, I've just given up on planning. I want to be surprised. (BTW: Jackson Pollock is the only abstract artist I actually like. His use of color is akin to my cluttered mind. Probably because the guy was bat-$hit crazy.)

rest assured you're not alone :) it's a normal occurrence among soap "fiends" <- a term used with total endearment . as time goes by it will only get worst , which is good because it means your creative energy is flowing, you will dream soap , eat soap to the point where everything you see and touch will become someway somehow associated with soap :) ......... welcome to the addiction , insert maniacal laughter here :)

Nope. I'm more of a "pour and pray" kind of gal. Whenever I plan something it never comes out remotely like what is in my head. I "think" Monet and I "do" Pollock. I plan "Water Lilies" and end up with "Mural". It's all good. Soap is soap and you get clean in the end; but, I've just given up on planning. I want to be surprised. (BTW: Jackson Pollock is the only abstract artist I actually like. His use of color is akin to my cluttered mind. Probably because the guy was bat-$hit crazy.)

Not to hijack this thread, but Teresa, if you like Pollock, have you ever seen the documentary, "Who the *&%# is Jackson Pollock?" It's about a woman who bought one of his paintings at a thrift store, and she's every bit as much of a character as he was. Thoroughly enjoyable and gives great insight into the art world. If you ever have the opportunity to see it, I would highly recommend it!
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/who_the_and_is_jackson_pollock/

Not to hijack this thread, but Teresa, if you like Pollock, have you ever seen the documentary, "Who the *&%# is Jackson Pollock?" It's about a woman who bought one of his paintings at a thrift store, and she's every bit as much of a character as he was. Thoroughly enjoyable and gives great insight into the art world. If you ever have the opportunity to see it, I would highly recommend it!
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/who_the_and_is_jackson_pollock/

I just watched the trailer. I have got to watch the documentary. I got turned on to Pollock because of the film depicting his life and then started researching him. Really an incredible, if odd, guy. Thanks for the tip!

@ Theresa, Pour n Pray is MY technique! Did you steal it? LOL I just posted an ode to Jaskson Pollock on my FB page. It was supposed to be a spin swirl but trace got to thick, so Jaskson Pollock it was. Of course I did not tell anyone it wasn,t planned.

IMG_20150914_180413.jpg

I don't do fancy designs, but I spend a lot of time coming up with new soap formulas. And recently, I've started auditioning again for community theater, so I'm planning out cast gift soaps that somehow fit in with each play for which I've auditioned. I figure if I make a batch when I first get cast, it has the entire rehearsal and show run time (about 3-4 months) to cure. I'm thinking about fragrances and basic color schemes that fit each play (once I'm actually cast, I might put on the fragrance forum with specifics for brainstorming!).

On a more serious note, how do you plan your soaps? Do you map them out step by step?

It's funny you should mention that, because yesterday I did exactly just that. I spent a few days mulling it over in my head, then I choreographed it out on paper, step-by-step. I don't do that for every single one of my batches (some are definitely 'pour and pray', lol), but for special ones I do the mapping-out thing. Yesterday, I was making a tweaked rendition of Soaping101's Pencil line soap that she calls 'Heavenly', and I wanted it to proceed smoothly.

ETA and planning doesn't guarantee I'll succeed, that's for sure LOL (eyeballing my ugly soaps waiting in the soon to be confetti'd line)

Um.....funny you should mention that, too. :lol: I'm actually a little scared of unmolding the soap I made yesterday, because in spite of my step-by-step list that I had at my side, I screwed up by accidentally omitting a step somewhere in the middle, which then forced me to improvise and 'pour and pray' the rest of the way up my mold. lol

IrishLass :)

I think whoever is in charge of the challenges should do an "Ode to Pollock" or a "Pour and Pray" theme one month. I'd love to see everyone's slab versions of Jackson Pollock inspired soaps. Personally, I think that would be fun as heck. OK. Totally sorry to hijack the thread.

ETA: BTW, Dana, that soap is gorgeous!!

Soap Plan

I read and planned for at least 2 years! Before I added my lye to water! And I still spend more time reading/planning/and collecting recipes than actual Soaping. I could be very poor (but really clean and very happy) in a house full of soap! I have no family other than Hubby and 1 teenage daughter. Hubby's family has NEVER appreciated anything homemade that can also be easily obtained at Wally World! Hence my reasons for living vicariously through all of you :wave: thanks :)

I'm both. I spend a lot of time planning in my head...but then when it comes to actual execution? I'm totally "pour and pray". I think in my head I have like 6 hands or something.

Lmao yep in my head I have 6 hands , two assistants, and soap always behaves in the manner I need it to for my design LOL

My strange, but wonderful (to me) mind saw "Pour and Pray" and immediately sang the hook to Bon Jovi's "Living On A Prayer". Only modified for soaping:

Woah, we're half way there
Woah, soapin' on a prayer
Take my mold, we'll make it I swear

And yes, I know there is something "Off Kilter" about the direction my mind went. :crazy:

SMH @ Soapin on a prayer. :D

I'm just spending inordinate amounts of time on SoapCalc. So far I came up with two feasible recipes and one I was told not to try because the castor oil was set to 25%... I'm still gonna try it. :wink:

For me it's been the challenge of learning how to swirl...so I spend hours on youtube finding a swirl I like then I search that swirl and look at every possible way to pour and swirl it...and in the end I don't even come close to what I wanted to do...but in some cases I've been really happy with the results.

My strange, but wonderful (to me) mind saw "Pour and Pray" and immediately sang the hook to Bon Jovi's "Living On A Prayer". Only modified for soaping:

Woah, we're half way there
Take my mold, we'll make it I swear

And yes, I know there is something "Off Kilter" about the direction my mind went. :crazy:

Lmao I.just spit tea on my tablet hahahaha

SMH @ Soapin on a prayer. :D

I'm just spending inordinate amounts of time on SoapCalc. So far I came up with two feasible recipes and one I was told not to try because the castor oil was set to 25%... I'm still gonna try it. :wink:

Hahahaha you rebel

For me it's been the challenge of learning how to swirl...so I spend hours on youtube finding a swirl I like then I search that swirl and look at every possible way to pour and swirl it...and in the end I don't even come close to what I wanted to do...but in some cases I've been really happy with the results.

rparmy this is my lament.... the best laid plans and mine looks nothing like theirs or even the idea in my head hahaha

Back