Am I the only one who is afraid to share my soap with other soapers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been scared of swapping with other soapers or any other craft swaps I have done. For the most part it's positive feedback and you get great goodies in the mail that you don't have to pay for.

I say jump in and go for it! I have always been curious about a swap. I have a rack of soaps left and feel like I am running dangerously low for that though (holiday season is approaching. My fella told me the other night that 'I had better get my butt to soaping'. Haha. He does that sometimes.) Honestly no one around here soaps but me that I know of so I really don't have anyone to buy soaps from to do a self critique. I'd really love to hear what someone has to say. My family all loves mine, too, and they keep my racks empty, but they are cut off until Christmas!

Ok I hear all of you and I'll have to bite the bullet because no one here soaps but me, and it's very difficult to get decent feedback from people who are just impressed by the fact that it's hand made soap. I think my anxiety is based in worrying that experienced soapers will try it and say it's horrible soap, which is ridiculous, but a real worry. I'll just have to send them out and see I guess because that's the best feedback I'm going to get.

Gigi-truly you are going to be your own worst critic. When you get the soaps from others, you will then realize it. We have seen your recipes, hon, and they are fine.

I'm another one on the side of letting as many people try your soap as you can find. I do always stipulate, though, that I want an honest opinion. I don't just want to hear "It was really nice; I like it" and then find out it's still sitting in it's wrapper on top of your microwave (as in my daughter's case). That's flat out lying and doesn't help me at all.

I don't have any soapers to share my soaps with (apart from my mother, who stopped making soap many years ago). I'm sending her some soap this weekend and I'm sure I'll have her opinion soon. Around here, though, no one in my circle makes soap, sadly. I wish I could get input from another soaper nearby.

I feel like this too Misschief. I wish I had soapy friends closer. But I will bite the bullet and send some soaps out to folks and get feedback. I really want to know if they are decent, from people who know what decent is. Friends have been trying the little tester squares I've given them, and their feedback is positive, but theirs is not peer feedback, based on skilled knowledge of the process and quality goals soapers strive for.

This past weekend, I sent some soap back to my home town with my daughter. She took some for my son and second daughter, as well as my mother and sister. Yesterday, I received a FB comment from my sister, telling me my soap was "amaze balls". She loves it!!

(This particular sister is very hard to impress so that was quite the compliment.) As you say though, Gigi, she's not a soaper. As much as I appreciate her enthusiasm, she's not a peer when it comes to the quality.

This past weekend, I sent some soap back to my home town with my daughter. She took some for my son and second daughter, as well as my mother and sister. Yesterday, I received a FB comment from my sister, telling me my soap was "amaze balls". She loves it!!

(This particular sister is very hard to impress so that was quite the compliment.) As you say though, Gigi, she's not a soaper. As much as I appreciate her enthusiasm, she's not a peer when it comes to the quality.

I agree, it's not the same. I'm waiting to get a few more batches under my belt and some soaps I really think are all around solid (good soap + beautiful). Then I'll offer to share with some soapers :)

Latest posts

Back