Am I hearing this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this has already been discussed, but is their a list on which suppliers provide the best prices for base oils?

It changes too much to have such a list. As an example, I made a list of stuff of stuff I was in need of...Sodium Hydroxide, Palm Oil, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Beeswax plus I needed some specific fragrances. So I logged on to my suppliers and after picking my fragrances, started comparison shopping to see who would give me the best price...including shipping.

Olive Oil Pomace isn’t a luxury oil...it’s a by-product of producing olive oil. If you’re being charge more than regular Olive Oil, then you need to find another supplier.
I'm aware it's not a luxury oil, let alone what it is but it might as well be considering it's cheaper to just get the olive oil from BJ's or Costco, not to mention less of a hassle (slightly).

all my soaps have castor it is cheap oil. I also use few oils; OO, CO, PO, Avo, lard tallow, and often babassu oil. when I use shea butter just at 5 % or cooca butter, I do not use any beeswax in my soaps prefer to get hardness from a good balance, and my plumbing would suffer. I do not believe beeswax brings anything to soap just hardness, I would worry that it would be too draggy on skin

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but is their a list on which suppliers provide the best prices for base oils?

I do keep a list of suppliers and cost of supplies. I check them periodically but have sourced enough over the years where it's pretty consistent. I do watch for sales when possible. I get my lye from Essential Depot and they run some great sales. I generally purchase 32 to 64 lbs at a time.

I'm aware it's not a luxury oil, let alone what it is but it might as well be considering it's cheaper to just get the olive oil from BJ's or Costco, not to mention less of a hassle (slightly).

For me as well. There are some local ethnic groceries near me that sell pomace, but it's cheaper to buy the Grade A at costco.

I do keep a list of suppliers and cost of supplies. I check them periodically but have sourced enough over the years where it's pretty consistent. I do watch for sales when possible. I get my lye from Essential Depot and they run some great sales. I generally purchase 32 to 64 lbs at a time.

That's a lot of lye...

Latest posts

Back