Always turned purple :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newbie in soap making world. I learned how to make soap about 3 months ago and created some little soaps in form of cookies.
I used 100% palm oil because its very cheap in my town, considering that I'm still doing very much trial and error.
One day, I made a very beautiful dark red color and my soon to be sister in law saw it, and she said she wanted me to make about 300 pcs dark red soap for her wedding.
Of course, I dont want to disappoint her! And I tried to make the same--or similar color to the dark red I was made before, but my soap mixture always turned in purple shade. I dont know what's going wrong.....I used some powder called pigment (i bought it online from a local market). Please someone help :( her wedding is getting closer :(

Hello and welcome!!! Is your colorant made to be used in soap. If it isn't I wouldn't use it. The PH of soap can morph colors and that is why you need to use colorants that are high PH stable and skin safe. If your colorant isn't skin safe I would not be using it nor giving it to others.

Thank you for welcoming! According to the caption, I (think) do used the colorant for soap....i attached the caption. However, i read few literatures about soap and they mentioned about PH....is there anything i can do about the soap's PH? Or maybe you can recommend me a better colorants for soaps?
Screenshot_20200416-184533_Shopee.jpg

I agree with shunt2011, the ph morphed the color. However where you live you should be able to get some mica pigment powder that will work in soap making. However be sure that you are buying from a reputable seller because some micas colors will just disappear when you add them to your soap. A good seller will state wether or not the color you are choosing is soap stable. Also read the reviews for each color you are choosing because even if it says soap stable, in certain recipes it may not be.

Thank you for welcoming! According to the caption, I (think) do used the colorant for soap....i attached the caption. However, i read few literatures about soap and they mentioned about PH....is there anything i can do about the soap's PH? Or maybe you can recommend me a better colorants for soaps?View attachment 45140
There's nothing you can really do about the ph if you are making CP soap and you shouldn't try doing it because you will just end up frustrated by your efforts. Shunt2011 may have a different opinion though. The best thing to do is to make sure that you get soap stable mica. You can also use oxides and ultramarine colors, they are stable in just about all soaps but there range of colors is limited.

I forgot to add that if it doesn't say soap stable or CP soap stable then I wouldn't buy it.

You're right, i'm starting to frustated even for just thinking about the ph 😅 so i think the conclusion is trying another colorants such as micas and oxides, right? I'll do it right away! Thanks for helping :) it means a lot. Wish me luck :))

You're right, i'm starting to frustated even for just thinking about the ph 😅 so i think the conclusion is trying another colorants such as micas and oxides, right? I'll do it right away! Thanks for helping :) it means a lot. Wish me luck :))
Good luck and let's know how it works out for you.

I'm just skimming, so this may be totally useless, but I remember being on some site ordering FO (maybe BB) and one of the filter option was to check for FO that turned soap purple,.so I guess that's a thing some FOs can do.

I was somewhat interested because I like the color purple (prince fan!), but am not sure I love it enough to try to work with a FO that would turn everything purple.

I'm just skimming, so this may be totally useless, but I remember being on some site ordering FO (maybe BB) and one of the filter option was to check for FO that turned soap purple,.so I guess that's a thing some FOs can do.

I was somewhat interested because I like the color purple (prince fan!), but am not sure I love it enough to try to work with a FO that would turn everything purple.
Interestingly, when I poured my FO into my soap batter a few days ago, it went a blue-ish/purple hue. I'd never seen that before. But once I had blended it through it was ok.

Interestingly, when I poured my FO into my soap batter a few days ago, it went a blue-ish/purple hue. I'd never seen that before. But once I had blended it through it was ok.

How funky, I wonder if it would have gone away naturally if you had let it be?

I wouldn't be making soap for your sisters wedding if you are new to this, you need to know a lot more before even attempting giving away soap for the wedding.

Back