Aluminum pot for preparing additives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
I realize that aluminum (Al) spoons and pots are unsuitable for saponification because the Al reacts with NaOH in fresh soap batter.

I have a cheap, unused saucepan that I am considering using for advance preparations of some additives (like boiling teas, steeping annatto seeds in oil, etc). Its label says the following.

Double layered aluminum. Coated with non-sticker. Easy to clean by hand or dishwasher.
UNQUOTE

Is it safe for use for my proposed purpose, ie as long as the coating does not get chipped? However, is it simply too risky, ie if the pan gets scratched and leaches aluminum without my knowing? ... Can enough Al seep into the oil or teas and react with lye when those additives are finally combined with lye in hard plastic or crockpots?

[ETA: correction of typo of the word 'layered' in quote.]

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-26 at 8.55.19 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-26 at 8.55.19 AM.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I honestly don't know...I have always used stainless steel even when making lotion bars.

Admittedly my curing trays are aluminum, but I also use two sheets of freezer paper with the waxed sides together and then check the top sheet ever so often for damage.

Latest posts

Back