Altoid Tins

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapHappyNYC

Reaction score
:idea: Making shaving soap this weekend for the first time and I am tempted to pour some into Altoid tins to give as stocking stuffers for the holiday. Does anyone know if it is fine to use Altoid tins for containers? :?::?:Would hate to waste soap!

HP or CP? If CP I'd mix up a little lye and put a drop in one of the tins to see how it reacts to the metals in the tin. I lost my bag full of Altoid tins and have been poking around for a source. The only thing I have found so is ebay.

Finished soap should be good to go. The CP batter is still caustic when poured though so it could react with the tin which could eat at the tin and or mess up the soap.

If using CP, make sure the soap's at a very thick trace. I used altoid tins when making a solid lotion bar with shea and beeswax. When I poured the hot liquid in the tins the liquid oozed out. They are not water tight. What a big mess I had to clean up.

Last edited:
Good point, the shape of the tin may not be the best for using a brush. I was going to use HP and fill a mug, then use the excess in tins for travel shave soap. Thanks for the link, I will check it out. Now, what to do with Altoid tins??

Coming in late to this thread and I'm also new to soap making but wanted to make shaving soap for my brother for Xmas. Can the soap be poured at trace into pint mason jars? I don't know if it will cool or cure properly.

I thought I could just leave the lids off until needed. Any thoughts on this?

Coming in late to this thread and I'm also new to soap making but wanted to make shaving soap for my brother for Xmas. Can the soap be poured at trace into pint mason jars? I don't know if it will cool or cure properly.

I thought I could just leave the lids off until needed. Any thoughts on this?

Are you planning on him spooning out the soap? A pint jar would be to deep make loading the brush a choir. Jelly jars would probably be cool.

Yea, I'd use the 1/4 pint jelly jar. I really like those jars for small sizes of my whipped body butter. Leave the lids on.

There are several types of half-pint canning jars. A wide-mouth flat jar would be better for shaving soap than a tall regular-mouth, if you expect the person to leave the soap in the jar for lathering. I'm not sure there's a wide mouth version of a quarter-pint jar, however. The little quarter-pint jars I've used are a little small to leave the soap in the jar for lathering up.

3530659378_e36ba845b3.jpg

half-pint-wide-mouth-mason-jars.jpg

Last edited:
ETA: my apologies, I said pint jars in my first post.

The jars are 1/2 pint, wide mouth. 3.5" wide and 2.75" tall, they are just a bit smaller than a standard sized shaving mug. If the soap will cure in a mug then I'll give one a try. My brother can give me feedback on the jar and that way I'll know whether or not to use them in future.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back