Alternatives to Germall plus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admirelle

Reaction score
Im in the UK so not allowed to use Germall plus. Are there any alternative preservatives that are similar? I bought a load of regular Optiphen only to find out that it's pretty much useless.
Formula using:
70% Water
15% Oil
5% Shea or mango butter
5% Emulsifying wax
3% Cetyl alcohol
1% Essential oil or fragrance
Preservative

This is just an example of what I'll be using, may be adding/replacing a few of the ingredients.

Last edited:
What makes you say that optiphen is useless? I've used it in lotions and I find it to work exceedingly well - I have some lotion which is a year old and it is still great, even though it was in my garage with some interesting temperature changes.

I know that you can't sell products with it in in the uk, but can you still use it for yourself?

Edit - I see that you are new, maybe take a moment to introduce yourself in the introduction forum

A member from my course explained that Optiphen isn't enough on it's own to combat microbes completey. Not sure how true this is. And I'm new to this forum, but not to soap making. I was directed to ask for this advice here :mrgreen:

What makes you say that optiphen is useless? I've used it in lotions and I find it to work exceedingly well - I have some lotion which is a year old and it is still great, even though it was in my garage with some interesting temperature changes.

I know that you can't sell products with it in in the uk, but can you still use it for yourself?

Edit - I see that you are new, maybe take a moment to introduce yourself in the introduction forum

My own limited experience with Optiphen caused me to toss it too. Every lotion developed visual microbial growth about 4 - 5 weeks after using it. However, I used tins, not pumps. Despite being very stringent in gmp, and always using freshly washed hands, every batch grew unsavory stuff.

Susan (swiftcraftymonkey) mentioned this in one of her posts: "...You can combine preservatives to create a broader spectrum preservative - for instance, adding something like one of the organic acids (which tend to be good fungal killers) with Optiphen..." She also mentions that Optiphen is not a broad spectrum preservative, but Optiphen Plus and Optiphen ND are.

General info about preservatives including a link to a downloadable preservative chart: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/11/preservatives-choosing-preservative.html
Use of organic acids as preservatives: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/10/preservatives-organic-acids-sodium.html

Hi everyone, hoping I can jump into this really old thread rather than cluttering up the board.

I make candles, but I'm wanting to move into room sprays. I know this is not quite the right forum, but in terms of preservatives I'm running into similar problems.

I'm not in the EU so I could use Germall Plus. But since it seems so sketchy (even more so in air born substances), I would prefer to follow EU rules.

Just wondering if anyone knows much about Saliguard PCG for room sprays. I've seen it recommended, along with many similar brands that have a similar combo of Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol and Propylene Glycol.

Latest posts

Back