Alternatives to Coconut Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Palmolive has managed to retain their trademark while eliminating the olive from the formula to cut costs.

Sometimes it's the percentage of coconut that can cause an irritation. When I made a soap with 33% coconut, my daughter found it made her itchy, whereas all my other soaps with 20% or lower coconut never irritated her skin. My soaps typical superfat is between 6-8%. Now my salt bars have high coconut 80%, but also a high superfat 20%, and she uses them no problem.

I do make a few soaps using palm kernel oil flakes instead of coconut.
Hey there! So, in reference to the coconut oil and PKO being used interchangeably, is it possible to make a 100% coconut oil soap but substitute part of the C.O for PKO? I suppose it wouldn't be 100 % coconut oil soap anymore..lol! What I'm wondering is, would a soap like that still need to be super fatted at 10 to 20 % ? I haven't actually tried this, but have substituted part of the coconut with PKO. I have yet to find a reference about PKO which addresses the dryness issue....if indeed it is drying. :)

Hey there! So, in reference to the coconut oil and PKO being used interchangeably, is it possible to make a 100% coconut oil soap but substitute part of the C.O for PKO? I suppose it wouldn't be 100 % coconut oil soap anymore..lol! What I'm wondering is, would a soap like that still need to be super fatted at 10 to 20 % ? I haven't actually tried this, but have substituted part of the coconut with PKO. I have yet to find a reference about PKO which addresses the dryness issue....if indeed it is drying. :)
It's the myristic and lauric fatty acids in the CO and the PKO and Babassu oil, too, that cause the drying effect. So yes, it would still be drying.

Ive seen that actually on a website, the person was testing 100% soaps and castor oil did nothing haha.

I found a recipe online using Castor Oil at 8% to olive oil at 92%. I showed to use a SF 8%, but I changed that to 5%. Pretty good stuff. It eludes me the site, actually, found it :)

This is a Baby Soap recipe

Baby Soap Recipe

I hope I am allowed to reference sites like that, if not, my apologies :)
The first soap I ever made which was only 2 months ago :p was a Bastille style soap which was 75% Olive Oil, 16% Shea and 9% Castor. Just to test it I used half a bar at 5 weeks and it was a little slimy but felt really nice on the skin. Using it now at just under 8 weeks it is so much nicer.

Latest posts

Back