Alternative to Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael732

Reaction score
So I gave away a few bars of soap to a co-worker. She love the soap and can't stop saying good things. She is telling me I should sell my stuff. No intentions of doing that but it did bring up a question I had been thinking about. I currently use lard as an ingredient to my soaps. I understand some people may have an ethical problem with using a product that contains animal products. Does anyone know of an alternative to lard that will provide the same basic properties?

Thank you.

Hi Michael- finding a single fat having the same properties of lard is very difficult, but a couple of years ago I was playing around on SoapCalc and came up with a ratio of 3 different but fairly common/easily available fats that results in a very close facsimile of lard's fatty acid profile:

55% palm oil
30% shea butter
15% olive oil

Let's say for example, that your recipe has 150 grams of lard in it. Go to a lye calculator and type in 150 grams in the weight of oils box. Then in the recipe oil list, type in 55% palm oil; 30% shea butter; and 15% olive oil. Then hit calculate to see how much of each of each fat in grams your recipe will need in order to replace the lard (like so):

1631136190027.png

In order to replace the the 150 grams of lard, you would need 82.5 grams of palm oil, 45 grams of shea butter and 15 grams of olive oil in your recipe. So....when you go to type your regular lard recipe up in the calculator, instead of lard, type in those amounts of the palm, shea and olive instead.

IrishLass :)

That's a good idea. I am using palm and olive oils in the same recipe. I think I'll need to sit down and tinker with soap calc to get myself in the ballpark. Thanks for the advice.

If people have an ethical issue with lard, and don't have an ethical issue with palm oil, they are not as informed as they should be. Just saying.
Maybe so, but some folks just have an ick factor issue with lard, while others just don't like the odor that the few can smell long after cure.

If people have an ethical issue with lard, and don't have an ethical issue with palm oil, they are not as informed as they should be. Just saying.

As apparently you are as it's already been shown that Palm Oil can be responsibly and sustainably produced. It costs a little more, the price is worth it to support such endeavors.

Obviously I am not politically correct...I use Palm Oil (RSPO), Coconut Oil, Lard and Goat Milk. I also use Micas. And I want to try some Tussah Silk and Honey in my soaps.

Well, who knows? Some time, someone will find out that there are ethical downsides to all ingredients if one just searches thoroughly enough. Does that mean it's best to stop soaping altogether? Driving? Eating? Breating?
IMHO it's important to be aware about the plus and minus points of the ingredients one is using, as well as those one is not using, and be confident – not orthodox.

So I gave away a few bars of soap to a co-worker. She love the soap and can't stop saying good things. She is telling me I should sell my stuff. No intentions of doing that but it did bring up a question I had been thinking about. I currently use lard as an ingredient to my soaps. I understand some people may have an ethical problem with using a product that contains animal products. Does anyone know of an alternative to lard that will provide the same basic properties?

Thank you.
Hi Michael - no matter what you use there could be ethical issues - along the lines of what @ResolvableOwl has just said. Just pick your poison and run with it I say. Mine (poison) is soy wax :)

Andiroba Oil/karaba/crabwood seems to have similar fatty acid values as Lard.
Palmitic 28, Stearic 8, Oleic 51, Linoleic 9 vs Lard's P 28, S 13, O 46, L 6.
Avocado Butter also has a similar profile... P 21, S 10, O 53, L 6.

I typically use beef tallow and if I'm out, Lard. But if you're trying to avoid animal fats, you can simply click on each oil in the soap calculator and it will give you the fatty acid numbers for each. Oils that have similar fatty acid numbers typically can typically be substituted for each other and will produce similar types of soap.

Does anyone know of an alternative to lard that will provide the same basic properties?
I use shea butter as a sub for lard and vice versa.
To find substitutes, I use a process similar to @kagey above only I use SoapCalc.
Enter lard 100% and tick "Calculate". The results show up in the right column of #5.
Then go down the list of oils one at a time to compare them to lard. They show up in the left column, side by side. Quick and easy to find a sub. :thumbs:

Of course, you need to recalculate your lye and possibly adjust the other oils to have a balanced formula. 😉

I have a fairly decent sniffer, but I didn't notice any weird smell to my lard soap, and I haven't heard from my testers that they noticed either.

The olfactory sense is just not the same in all people. Some are far more capable of identifying things others just never notice.

There are people, some here at SMF, myself included, who can smell lard in soap. Even as it gets older, it has a distinct odor that can be identified by some folks. I also recall reading here about a woman who could always identify a soap that had Olive Oil in it simply by the smell.

Some examples: Many medical professionals are able to identify infection by smell, but some more acutely than others. At least 2 of the nurses here at SMF have posted about our experiences with that particular oddity.

During pregnancy, some women develop hyperosmia, but this normally goes away eventually (sometimes after giving birth; sometimes before). Others may have hyperosmia for a variety of reasons that can be short term or long lasting, and even life-long) . Sometimes certain olfactory senses can be developed and trained (such as for perfumers.)

Describing the smell of lard as 'weird' would be a misnomer, I think. It's just a smell. To me smells are distinct, not weird. Once a smell that I cannot identify is identified (I search until I locate where it originates), I do not think it is a weird smell. It just is. So if I walk into my house after being gone for a month and notice something smells 'off' or not what I expect, I search until I can identify what it is. Then of course, I deal with it as needed (example: I may come home to rotten potatoes or moldy oranges or some other produce that has lost its freshness.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Back to topic: @michael732, I did not start out using animal fats in soap, and do not use soap with animal fats for soaps I use myself. I did eventually decide to make soap with animal fats for some of my family (who don't share my bathroom) because they have no personal dislike for animal fats, so I figured, why not. Just because I am a vegetarian doesn't mean my husband has to be one, so I do occasionally cook meals for him that includes meat, and since I do that, I decided I could also make soap with animal fats now and again for my brothers. So I do that.

Anyway, since I have little to no recent experience using soaps with animal fats myself, I may not be a good judge of what is a good substitute for lard if you want a straight-off 1 to 1 substitute; I can't say I would know the difference or even recognize if there is one (a difference in feel, etc.)

But I can tell you that for the dedicated vegetarian or vegan, especially if they have been one for as long as I have been (about 22 years), a straight-up 1:1 substitute for lard is not at all necessary. Maybe a newly dedicated anti-animal-fat-in-my-soap person, it may matter to them, but for the person who has never used or hasn't used for many years, a soap with animal fat, the need to find a 'perfect' substitute is really not necessary.

As a user of soap without animal fats, I can say there are plenty of soaps you can make without using lard, tallow or other fats derived from animals that are plenty satisfying to many folks who don't want animal fats in their soaps.

I just started making recipes in whatever soap calculator I was using at the time and was happy with most of my results. I attempted to follow the guidelines for 'acceptable' numbers in the calculators to get a 'balanced' bar and via trial & error, found many recipes that work just fine for me and my family, and some that I absolutely love. In the beginning all I gave my family were non-animal fat soaps, so when I started giving some of them soap with lard, many were quite surprised that I even made it; some didn't like the change, and then some have an 'ick' factor with lard so didn't even want the lard-containing soap anyway.

Other oils to use for making a bar harder and/or longer lasting include:

Cocoa Butter (and the other butters - many recipes use a combination of Cocoa Butter & Shea Butter)
Soy Wax (I use GW415 or equivalent) But some folks don't want any soy in their products, either, sooooo....
Palm (although I never planned to use palm oil in my soaps, I did eventually try it & still use it sometimes)
Olive Oil (Castile soap made with only olive oil is a very hard soap, not so long lasting, though)
High Oleic versions of soft oils instead of the lower oleic versions (Sunflower, Safflower...)

Isolated Stearic Acid can be added to harden & prolong the life of soap but has its own quirks (higher necessary heat, faster trace).
Salt can be used as an additive to make soap harden sooner (doesn't really prolong the life of the bar, IME.)

Beeswax is okay in the eyes of some anti-animal fat folk, but not all, so it's a bit on the iffy side, depending on your audience. Same for palm oil, in case you haven't noticed.

In any case, you can't please all the people all of the time. One won't want animal fat. One won't want palm. One won't want soy. One won't want Beeswax. One won't want lye soap. The list goes on and on.

Incidentally, Avocado Oil seems to give a very nice feel to soap, and one recipe that surprised me with how luxurious it feels to my skin is Avocado (40%), HO Safflower (45%) & Coconut oil (15%) with cornsilk as an additive to the lye water. I originally made this while traveling in 2018, and made soap with what I could find in a grocery store that day. I had read many positive reviews of using high amounts of avocado and of course, the high oleic version of safflower oil is often preferred over regular Safflower oil to make a harder soap and to ward off rancidity. I usually use silk in my lye solution, but that day used corn silk I had 'harvested' from cob corn when preparing the cobs for consumption. So I can't say which specific ingredient gave this soap that fabulous feel, but I suspect the combination is what did it, although one ingredient may have contributed more than another. Although I have used corn silk before, I have not felt that alone it makes that much of a difference to the feel of the soap when it is the only change to the formula.

As apparently you are as it's already been shown that Palm Oil can be responsibly and sustainably produced. It costs a little more, the price is worth it to support such endeavors.

Obviously I am not politically correct...I use Palm Oil (RSPO), Coconut Oil, Lard and Goat Milk. I also use Micas. And I want to try some Tussah Silk and Honey in my soaps.
Apparently, I aml not politically correct either. Palm Oil most certainly be sustainably produced. I also render my own Tallow and use Tussah silk and honey (from our son’s bees) in my soaps. I have no qualms nor do I lose any sleep over my choices. If there are some people who prefer not to purchase my soaps, so be it.

The olfactory sense is just not the same in all people. Some are far more capable of identifying things others just never notice.

There are people, some here at SMF, myself included, who can smell lard in soap. Even as it gets older, it has a distinct odor that can be identified by some folks. I also recall reading here about a woman who could always identify a soap that had Olive Oil in it simply by the smell.

Some examples: Many medical professionals are able to identify infection by smell, but some more acutely than others. At least 2 of the nurses here at SMF have posted about our experiences with that particular oddity.

During pregnancy, some women develop hyperosmia, but this normally goes away eventually (sometimes after giving birth; sometimes before). Others may have hyperosmia for a variety of reasons that can be short term or long lasting, and even life-long) . Sometimes certain olfactory senses can be developed and trained (such as for perfumers.)

Describing the smell of lard as 'weird' would be a misnomer, I think. It's just a smell. To me smells are distinct, not weird. Once a smell that I cannot identify is identified (I search until I locate where it originates), I do not think it is a weird smell. It just is. So if I walk into my house after being gone for a month and notice something smells 'off' or not what I expect, I search until I can identify what it is. Then of course, I deal with it as needed (example: I may come home to rotten potatoes or moldy oranges or some other produce that has lost its freshness.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Back to topic: @michael732, I did not start out using animal fats in soap, and do not use soap with animal fats for soaps I use myself. I did eventually decide to make soap with animal fats for some of my family (who don't share my bathroom) because they have no personal dislike for animal fats, so I figured, why not. Just because I am a vegetarian doesn't mean my husband has to be one, so I do occasionally cook meals for him that includes meat, and since I do that, I decided I could also make soap with animal fats now and again for my brothers. So I do that.

Anyway, since I have little to no recent experience using soaps with animal fats myself, I may not be a good judge of what is a good substitute for lard if you want a straight-off 1 to 1 substitute; I can't say I would know the difference or even recognize if there is one (a difference in feel, etc.)

But I can tell you that for the dedicated vegetarian or vegan, especially if they have been one for as long as I have been (about 22 years), a straight-up 1:1 substitute for lard is not at all necessary. Maybe a newly dedicated anti-animal-fat-in-my-soap person, it may matter to them, but for the person who has never used or hasn't used for many years, a soap with animal fat, the need to find a 'perfect' substitute is really not necessary.

As a user of soap without animal fats, I can say there are plenty of soaps you can make without using lard, tallow or other fats derived from animals that are plenty satisfying to many folks who don't want animal fats in their soaps.

I just started making recipes in whatever soap calculator I was using at the time and was happy with most of my results. I attempted to follow the guidelines for 'acceptable' numbers in the calculators to get a 'balanced' bar and via trial & error, found many recipes that work just fine for me and my family, and some that I absolutely love. In the beginning all I gave my family were non-animal fat soaps, so when I started giving some of them soap with lard, many were quite surprised that I even made it; some didn't like the change, and then some have an 'ick' factor with lard so didn't even want the lard-containing soap anyway.

Other oils to use for making a bar harder and/or longer lasting include:

Cocoa Butter (and the other butters - many recipes use a combination of Cocoa Butter & Shea Butter)
Soy Wax (I use GW415 or equivalent) But some folks don't want any soy in their products, either, sooooo....
Palm (although I never planned to use palm oil in my soaps, I did eventually try it & still use it sometimes)
Olive Oil (Castile soap made with only olive oil is a very hard soap, not so long lasting, though)
High Oleic versions of soft oils instead of the lower oleic versions (Sunflower, Safflower...)

Isolated Stearic Acid can be added to harden & prolong the life of soap but has its own quirks (higher necessary heat, faster trace).
Salt can be used as an additive to make soap harden sooner (doesn't really prolong the life of the bar, IME.)

Beeswax is okay in the eyes of some anti-animal fat folk, but not all, so it's a bit on the iffy side, depending on your audience. Same for palm oil, in case you haven't noticed.

In any case, you can't please all the people all of the time. One won't want animal fat. One won't want palm. One won't want soy. One won't want Beeswax. One won't want lye soap. The list goes on and on.

Incidentally, Avocado Oil seems to give a very nice feel to soap, and one recipe that surprised me with how luxurious it feels to my skin is Avocado (40%), HO Safflower (45%) & Coconut oil (15%) with cornsilk as an additive to the lye water. I originally made this while traveling in 2018, and made soap with what I could find in a grocery store that day. I had read many positive reviews of using high amounts of avocado and of course, the high oleic version of safflower oil is often preferred over regular Safflower oil to make a harder soap and to ward off rancidity. I usually use silk in my lye solution, but that day used corn silk I had 'harvested' from cob corn when preparing the cobs for consumption. So I can't say which specific ingredient gave this soap that fabulous feel, but I suspect the combination is what did it, although one ingredient may have contributed more than another. Although I have used corn silk before, I have not felt that alone it makes that much of a difference to the feel of the soap when it is the only change to the formula.
Thank you for the reply. Avocado at 40%? Wow. I use it in my current recipe but only at 5%. I have been tinkering SoapCalc, just replacing the lard with other solid fats. It looks like I can use Shea butter. Tweak the other percentages and my numbers look compatible to my original recipe.

I have a fairly decent sniffer, but I didn't notice any weird smell to my lard soap, and I haven't heard from my testers that they noticed either.
I have batches of 100% lard soap that my wife loves. She can smell a far...well never mind. If i recall i made the batch with a 5% super fat. No smell what so ever.

Latest posts

Back