Alternative sweeteners for bubbles?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by cherrybleach, Aug 20, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Aug 20, 2019 #1

cherrybleach

cherrybleach

cherrybleach

Supporting Member

Re: sugars/sugar alcohols for bubbly lather, I have experimented with sugar, honey, agave nectar, and sorbitol. For me, honey produces the finest texture, and sorbitol is an amazing bubble maker as Kenna's tests over at MS indicate. All of them can overheat, as evidenced by my many volcano'd and partial gel batches..agave nectar tends to burn whenever I use it.

And to be honest, my favorite bubble enhancer isn't a sugar at all, it's sodium citrate.

But anyway, I found myself, as one does, browsing Jedwards, and saw that they offer a number of sweeteners/sugar substitutes that I have not yet tested in soap that look to be interesting to use as bubble enhancers:

Coconut sugar
    Coconut syrup
    Maple syrup
    Monk fruit (powder and juice concentrate)
    Yacon syrup (!?)
    Stevia
    Erythritol

I imagine coconut sugar/syrup and maple syrup produce results similar to sugar/ honey/agave nectar, so I'm really curious about your experiences using monk fruit, stevia (would that even work?), yacon syrup, and/or erythritol (similar to/better/worse than sorbitol?).

Speaking of erythritol, what about the other sugar alcohols? Xylitol, mannitol, isomalt?

What alternative sweeteners have you used to improve bubbles in your recipes? What benefits/drawbacks have you encountered?

gloopygloop likes this.
  2. Aug 20, 2019 #2

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

The only thing in can contribute is hearsay. I've heard that Maple syrup can make soap turn out sticky.

3. Aug 20, 2019 #3

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

I used crystalline fructose once. I remember it turned my lye water red, and my resulting soap came out tan.

My favorite is honey. I use 5% ppo. It does not cause overheating or other ornery issues like separation and/or honey spots in ones soap if you mix it in with your cooled-off lye water first.

Plain white sugar is my next favorite, even though I use it much more often than I do honey. I use sugar @ 5% ppo as well.

One of these days, I want to try sorbitol.

IrishLass :)

gloopygloop, Nanette and Teresa408 like this.
  4. Aug 20, 2019 #4

David Gregory

David Gregory

David Gregory

Supporting Member

Is saccharine a viable bubble enhancer ?

5. Aug 20, 2019 #5

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I have used maple syrup in soap. It did turn out too soft and bendable. I did not try again with less, but I did determine that it's not a good idea to use the same amount of maple syrup as one uses honey.

I tried agave a couple of times, but don't recall it burning. Perhaps it had to do with how I added it. I mixed it with the oils before adding the lye solution.

Confectioner's sugar is one I keep meaning to try, but never remember that when putting a recipe together. I hope one of these days I do remember to give it a try.

gloopygloop likes this.
  6. Aug 21, 2019 #6

Bladesmith

Bladesmith

Bladesmith

I’ve switched completely to sorbitol. Seems to perform the best to me. I use quite a lot but since I hp, overheating is not a concern.

:)

7. Aug 21, 2019 #7

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

I’ve purchased sorbitol on Carolyn’s high praise but haven’t tried it yet

8. Aug 22, 2019 #8

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

While I LOVE Jedwards and get just about everything there... wish they had more... The prices for those items are not cost wise for soap.

Nanette likes this.
  9. Aug 22, 2019 #9

gloopygloop

gloopygloop

gloopygloop

I use white sugar which seems to work fine in my HP I avoid honey because I HP not sure of the chemistry regarding adding before saponification or adding after whether it does the same thing or not? I have bottle of Sorbitol but haven't tried it.........yet!

10. Aug 22, 2019 #10

KDP

KDP

KDP

I've used regular sugar and confectioner's sugar. I prefer the confectioner's sugar simply because it melts easier, plus, in my opinion, the lather/bubbles are better.

11. Aug 23, 2019 #11

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I added my honey, diluted in hot water, after my cook but I don't remember why this is what I did lol.

Haven't tried adding it to the oils. One advantage I can think of is there's less chance of the honey cooling down n hardening up if it's mixed with the oils. My soap had honey bits throughout, not too many and not too big but they're there.

Draft saved Draft deleted