Quantcast

Alternative Liquids Swap (discussion, reviews, photos)

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

boyago

Reaction score
So how does that work? Do we elaborate in the column below our name?

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You would fill out the row with your name on it and rate everyone's soap except your own. That's why I greyed out selected cells. If you guys want to review your own bars too then feel free to remove the shading. I was hoping we could get some first impressions and then update later about how the bars actually perform after using them for awhile.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Figures out how to edit the doc! Left my first impressions, will post up pics and impressions of samples tomorrow.

doriettefarm, your rose sample is the lotion soap that left my hubby too soft lol. Its really is a very nice soap. Too bad babassu makes my skin feel weird. I also love the booby prize bar. I can't believe you called it a ugly. I love the scent, it smells up the whole bathroom.

Who made the cola sample? I've been wondering about that FO, I like it.

Last edited:

TVivian

Reaction score
I left for vacation and had to leave all my soaps at home! I'll start the testing as soon as I get home. My friends who came over for 4th of July all saw my box and wanted me to share too. :)

boyago

Reaction score
Who made the cola sample? I've been wondering about that FO, I like it.
That was me. It was going to be my main trade soap but I kept thinking the scent failed. Not sure if that was because it was coming and going or my nose broke from too much playing with scents (was trying to get a cola scent with EOs). Then when I got my box the sample smelled more like cola than when it left. It's "Cola" from Natures Garden.

osso

Reaction score
Seriously impressed with everyone's soaps. I hope everyone will share the fragrances they used!

I have only lathered up the sample bars so far...so much soap!! But I am looking forward to trying the soaps with all the different liquids and also the lard and tallow bars, since I haven't used those myself or tried them in handmade soaps made by other yet.

I think I'll start a separate thread on making the kombucha soap since I didn't find much when searching myself prior to making it.

Edit: kombucha thread - http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=55048

Last edited:

not_ally

Reaction score
WOW! Lovely soaps, you guys. Opening the box must have been like Christmas morning come early. Although I do not envy wanting to have all those soaps in the tub with you, I am already overloaded with bits of my own soapies in there, and can never wait to space them all out for use like a sensible person ...

ETA: Boyago, how did you get the black outline on the blue swirl in your aloe soap? Love that look.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I have a few first wash impressions.

doriettefarm's tomato puree soap was the first I used when I opened the box. It lathers well and I was pleasantly surprised the lather isn't colored. It left my skin a bit tight and itchy, I blame the clays. I've used clay in my own soap and it always makes me itch, I have really dry skin though.

doriettefarm's booby prize salt soap. Have to toss this one in too though not everyone got this. I really like this soap, it one of the hardest salt bars I've used but it lathers really nice. I quite like the scent. Curious as to when this was made?

TRBeck's citrus wave with aloe. Used this in the shower today. Nice slick lather, can definitely tell its tallow based. Left my skin really soft, no need for lotion, not even my face. Like this recipe a lot.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nevermore- The story of the name

So, the liquid I decided to use was beer. I was just going to use some Guinness, but when I went to the store, they had a display of locally brewed beers. They had this on sale for quite a bit less than the old reliable. So I got 3 bottles. I reduced the beer by 50% over low heat, so it never boiled, and then froze it into cubes. the next day I popped the cubes into a plastic cup and added my lye. I had enough to make a 33% solution.

So, since there is a obvious reference to the famous author and poet in the beer, I had thought naming it after the single word delivered by that dire bird was fitting.

The scent is a blend of 80% BB Cedar and Lavender FO and 20% Peppermint EO. It is what I sent as my sample. I really love the way it combines. and you do not have to use much. I used .5 oz ppo.

ETA the link for the brewery http://newhollandbrew.com/our-beer/the-poet/

20150426_192112.jpg

Last edited:

osso

Reaction score
Kchaystack, love the backstory and your soap! Thanks for sharing the fragrance as well, I love the scent!

Obsidian

Reaction score
First impressions of some extras.

honey lip balm, really liked this one. Unfortunately so did my dog:(
pina colada lip balm, smells amazing, nice formula. Unfortunately, the flavor oil burns my lips a bit but it goes away in a couple minutes
Imogen rose FO- very nice light rose along with something I can't place. Even my non floral liking mom liked this one
Blended FO including lychee red tea, fresh cut rose, champagne and vanilla bean noel. Love this one, possibly what newbie used in the hemp soap?
bath melts- these look fun, can't wait to try them
Storm mica- very pretty dark grey, will be nice in a salt bar
spirulina powder, one of my favorite colorants, thank you
sodium citrate, I've been wanting to try this so was very pleased when I saw it

boyago

Reaction score
ETA: Boyago, how did you get the black outline on the blue swirl in your aloe soap? Love that look.
It's actually just AC I love the look too. There is a little color morphing from where the soap is thin over the AC line. It's a spoon drop through an AC pencil line. You do it by mixing to a thick trace and then spooning in your batter with a large spoon or cup and doing pencil lines between drops. Then cutting your bars on the same plane that you did your pencil lines.

kumudini

Reaction score
All beautiful soaps! I'm sure they are wonderful to use as well. Enjoy you guys and girls, after all the work you put into this swap and all that thinking and rethinking, what a prize this is!!

not_ally

Reaction score
Thanks, Boyago. I am going to have to try it, today, I am intrigued. A bit confused about the cutting on the plane - ie; I would think it would be hard to do a vertical AC line in a log mold, which I usually use, I will just have to do another try after messing up the first one (the burning in your ears with be after that :)