Aloe Vera

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking of trying a batch of aloe vera soap.Can any of you who have used it, tell me what you feel it adds to the soap?

Many thanks,I grow Aloe Vera in my garden & it seems a waste not to use the gel in soap I will use ISG ´s advise. I use the hot process method will this make any difference?

Well soap gets awfully hot during the gel stage, so I can't see much difference in using it in HP. I may be wrong, just guessing.

i just did a lemongrass dead sea mud batch, in which i put some fresh aloe into it. i just dump the meat and SB it to death (with the oils, before the lye).

before, i put it in food processor first, and mix it with a bit of water (to make it into more of a juice consistency)... think i just found a faster way tonight :D ^^^

my lemongrass batch is a success. no aloe bits/chunks, the soap is smooth as it can be. turns out, fresh aloe meat is real easy to mix/dissolve with oils. so, no need to put it into food processor first. just spoon the meat, dump it to the oils, and SB :)

i just did a lemongrass dead sea mud batch, in which i put some fresh aloe into it. i just dump the meat and SB it to death (with the oils, before the lye).

before, i put it in food processor first, and mix it with a bit of water (to make it into more of a juice consistency)... think i just found a faster way tonight :D ^^^

hi, before adding in the aloe chunks, did you measure and deduct that amount from your lye-water amount?

Keep in mind that I am a new soaper - I've only made about 15 batches of soap so far, all using different recipes, so my experiences with aloe may or may not constitute "good" advice. (Sidenote: one of the reasons I started making soap was because aloe plant were taking over my yard and I didn't want them to go to waste.)

In 4 of my soaps, I added Aloe that I harvested from my yard. I pureed the gel in the blender without adding any extra water.

I tried doing 50/50 aloe and water to mix my lye water. I froze The aloe into small cubes, added the remaining water, then added The lye in small increments. The lye mix thickened up and turned a brownish color I did not really care for. Once I added it to the batter, it mixed well, but did make soap a share of two darker than what I had hoped. I was able to blend of to a light trace and made for a nice in the pot swirl.

Next, I tried using the aloe as 50% of my water and adding it at trace. The batter thickened up so I had to do a solid color soap when I had intended to do swirls. It did not seem to affect the color. It might have worked better if I had added It at a lighter trace. I may try this way again in the future once I gain more experience.

For the third, I again used aloe for half of my water, but stick blended it into my oils before adding the lye solution. This worked fabulously for me. I did not notice any discoloration of difference in blending the batter to trace, and was able to do some nice swirls.

For my fourth aloe soap, I used subbed 25% aloe and 25% cream for half of the water. I stick blended the aloe/ cream mix into the oils before adding the lye solution. Like my third aloe soap, it blended nicely, without any discoloration.

I've decided to continue stick blending my aloe into my oils before adding the lye, at least until I become more experienced, since this have me the best results.

I've been thinking of trying a batch of aloe vera soap.Can any of you who have used it, tell me what you feel it adds to the soap?

Of the ten or or so soap recipes that I and my family have tested so far, the favorites have been the ones with aloe. The lather feels more creamy to me in the aloe soaps than in the soaps without it.

I did make two batches of soap with the same recipe except one had aloe, and one did not. I did not tell them the difference, and they all said the one with aloe was nicer. The others all had different recipes, so that also contributed to the results.

My family really loved the soap I made with aloe and oat milk, followed closely by the one with aloe and cream. Before trying those, the one with just aloe and water was the favorite.

For the soap I made with aloe and cream, I had frozen the aloe, then let it thaw before using it in my soap. This did not appear to have any negative affect.

I don't notice a significant difference between the soap where I used 25% aloe instead of 50%. All four batches have a luxurious lather that really makes me feel like I am pampering myself.

Because my aloe plants are taking over my yard, I plan to add aloe into all of my soaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, before adding in the aloe chunks, did you measure and deduct that amount from your lye-water amount?
This thread is from 2014 and seven has not been here in nearly 3 yrs, so I doubt will see your post to them.

Of the ten or or so soap recipes that I and my family have tested so far, the favorites have been the ones with aloe. The lather feels more creamy to me in the aloe soaps than in the soaps without it.

I did make two batches of soap with the same recipe except one had aloe, and one did not. I did not tell them the difference, and they all said the one with aloe was nicer. The others all had different recipes, so that also contributed to the results.

My family really loved the soap I made with aloe and oat milk, followed closely by the one with aloe and cream. Before trying those, the one with just aloe and water was the favorite.

For the soap I made with aloe and cream, I had frozen the aloe, then let it thaw before using it in my soap. This did not appear to have any negative affect.

I don't notice a significant difference between the soap where I used 25% aloe instead of 50%. All four batches have a luxurious lather that really makes me feel like I am pampering myself.

Because my aloe plants are taking over my yard, I plan to add aloe into all of my soaps.

This post is from 2014 and navigator has not been in here in over 1 yr, so I doubt will see your quoted message to them.

Keep in mind that I am a new soaper - I've only made about 15 batches of soap so far, all using different recipes, so my experiences with aloe may or may not constitute "good" advice. (Sidenote: one of the reasons I started making soap was because aloe plant were taking over my yard and I didn't want them to go to waste.)

In 4 of my soaps, I added Aloe that I harvested from my yard. I pureed the gel in the blender without adding any extra water.

I tried doing 50/50 aloe and water to mix my lye water. I froze The aloe into small cubes, added the remaining water, then added The lye in small increments. The lye mix thickened up and turned a brownish color I did not really care for. Once I added it to the batter, it mixed well, but did make soap a share of two darker than what I had hoped. I was able to blend of to a light trace and made for a nice in the pot swirl.

Next, I tried using the aloe as 50% of my water and adding it at trace. The batter thickened up so I had to do a solid color soap when I had intended to do swirls. It did not seem to affect the color. It might have worked better if I had added It at a lighter trace. I may try this way again in the future once I gain more experience.

For the third, I again used aloe for half of my water, but stick blended it into my oils before adding the lye solution. This worked fabulously for me. I did not notice any discoloration of difference in blending the batter to trace, and was able to do some nice swirls.

For my fourth aloe soap, I used subbed 25% aloe and 25% cream for half of the water. I stick blended the aloe/ cream mix into the oils before adding the lye solution. Like my third aloe soap, it blended nicely, without any discoloration.

I've decided to continue stick blending my aloe into my oils before adding the lye, at least until I become more experienced, since this have me the best results.

So cool of you to use something right at your doorstep! I made a soap with aloe, coconut milk, and avocado pulp as 1/5 of my water and then a 50/50 lye/water solution so the final ratio is 2:1 but I think it is slightly less than 2 because of all the solids in the fancy pants ingredients. And the soap turned out amazing. Very rich and creamy. I used WSPs Avobath fragrance oil and it was a great combo.

[QUOTE = "JJBlaine, post: 802876, membro: 34296"] Lembre-se de que sou um novo membro - só produzi cerca de 15 lotes de sabão até agora, todos usando receitas diferentes, portanto minhas experiências com o aloe podem ou não pode não constituir um conselho "bom". (Nota: uma das razões pelas quais eu comecei a fazer sabão foi porque a planta de aloe estava tomando conta do meu quintal e eu não queria que elas fossem desperdiçadas.)

No terceiro, use novamente o aloe para metade da minha água, mas misture-os nos meus óleos antes de adicionar uma solução de soda cáustica. Isso funciona fabulosamente para mim. Não observe nenhuma descoloração da diferença na mistura com o traço e consegui fazer alguns redemoinhos agradáveis.
Did you add aloe vera to the already melted oils?

[QUOTE = "JJBlaine, post: 802876, membro: 34296"] Lembre-se de que sou um novo membro - só produzi cerca de 15 lotes de sabão até agora, todos usando receitas diferentes, portanto minhas experiências com o aloe podem ou não pode não constituir um conselho "bom". (Nota: uma das razões pelas quais eu comecei a fazer sabão foi porque a planta de aloe estava tomando conta do meu quintal e eu não queria que elas fossem desperdiçadas.)

No terceiro, use novamente o aloe para metade da minha água, mas misture-os nos meus óleos antes de adicionar uma solução de soda cáustica. Isso funciona fabulosamente para mim. Não observe nenhuma descoloração da diferença na mistura com o traço e consegui fazer alguns redemoinhos agradáveis.
Did you add aloe vera to the already melted oils?
The aloe vera puree would be added to already melted oils....gel could be added as you begin to blend or at trace, liquid aloe vera juice that is the sub for your water would be what you put the lye in then add when cooled enough to the oils.

I add the aloe to the melted oils and stick blend. When I add the aloe after the lye, or at trace, the batter thickens up very quickly, but when I blend it in before the lye, it does not seem to thicken up as fast, which gives me time to do some swirls.

Back