Aloe Vera Powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Soaper

Reaction score
Made my first bar of soap using Aloe Vera Powder.

Unlike Aloe Vera Gel, which is a slight yellow-green, the powder is a dark amber-brown. Not very appealing.

Did I buy the wrong stuff? Can you get powdered Aloe Vera that only has a slight color to it.

The soap in question also includes some fats/oils with some color. However, without the Aloe Vera powder, it would have come out a greenish-yellow.

Attachments

• IMG_4848r.jpg
    IMG_4848r.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I make fresh aloe gel by whizzing up the peeled leaves - it's whitish/cream until I add the lye and then it yellows considerably. The colour doesn't seem to follow though into the final soap colour though.

The powder I buy is a 200x concentrate which, when mixed with water, seems to be similar to the fresh aloe in colour, but then with the lye added is nowhere near as yellow as fresh.

The aloe vera gel that I buy is clear.
The aloe vera juice that I buy is a yellowish brownish color.
Both darken when lye is added.
The Aloe Vera Gel that I have purchased is nearly clear and darkens a bit when the lye is added but lightens again when added to fats and oils.

What I was asking about was Aloe Vera Powder that is quite dark.

I make fresh aloe gel by whizzing up the peeled leaves - it's whitish/cream until I add the lye and then it yellows considerably. The colour doesn't seem to follow though into the final soap colour though.

The powder I buy is a 200x concentrate which, when mixed with water, seems to be similar to the fresh aloe in colour, but then with the lye added is nowhere near as yellow as fresh.

I appreciate the information. There is hope. The powder I bought in 100x and I believe it is made from the whole leaf.

$6.00 for a ½ ounce. Ouch.

I'll keep looking, but it's good to see that such a product exists. I'm guessing, then, that they powder I have is the whole leaf and not just the inner fillet.
Yes, but 100x means that you only to use 1/100th of the amount of powder to reconstitute into full-strength.Other soapers have accidentally over-used the 100x powder with pretty drastic results. So it is super concentrated, and you will only use a very tiny a bit at a time.

I found some 200x at $20.00 for 3.5 oz. That comes out to less than 3¢ an ounce reconstituted. 100x $6.00 0.5 oz is 12¢ an ounce reconstituted.

And I'll use my whole-leaf powder as colorant -- it's certainly dark enough.

Yes, but 100x means that you only to use 1/100th of the amount of powder to reconstitute into full-strength.Other soapers have accidentally over-used the 100x powder with pretty drastic results. So it is super concentrated, and you will only use a very tiny a bit at a time.
What were the drastic results Ali? I just realised I used more than required in my last batch.

What I was asking about was Aloe Vera Powder that is quite dark.
I know, but in your post you compared it to aloe vera gel:
Unlike Aloe Vera Gel, which is a slight yellow-green, the powder is a dark amber-brown.
So I was pointing out that your aloe vera gel is a different color than mine, and that avj itself is not light colored or clear. You've already contradicted yourself by first saying it is "yellow-green" and then saying it is "nearly clear". It doesn't make sense to expect that the powder would be light colored as well. I don't use powder (which I think I commented on your post asking about how much to use), so my expectations of powder would be a darker color than avj.

If you used it at the correct rates, I don't think the color should matter. Are you using it at correct rates?

J-Soaper where did you buy your 100× power if you don't mind sharing? I was considering buying some from wsp. For the people who have used the concentrate how much do you use ppo?

I know, but in your post you compared it to aloe vera gel:

So I was pointing out that your aloe vera gel is a different color than mine, and that avj itself is not light colored or clear. You've already contradicted yourself by first saying it is "yellow-green" and then saying it is "nearly clear". It doesn't make sense to expect that the powder would be light colored as well. I don't use powder (which I think I commented on your post asking about how much to use), so my expectations of powder would be a darker color than avj.

If you used it at the correct rates, I don't think the color should matter. Are you using it at correct rates?

No contradiction between nearly clear and slight yellow-green.
It is not clear -- only nearly so. It does have a color -- though very slight. The slight color it has is yellow-green. But, admittedly, my color vision is better than that of most people's.

In contrast, the aloe vera powder is a dark greenish-brown. Even a very small amount of it would substantially color the finished product.

Let me search the threads and see if I can find the one where someone put in way too much, and had some kind of soapy disaster.
Thank you. My soap is made and cut and seems fine. I made up the powder into 1:1 concentrate with water, then froze it. I totally forgot it was still a concentrate when I took it out of the freezer (despite it being written on it!), and used 320g frozen with only 100g additional water. It should have had 320g water to make it normal aloe juice. Maybe it will just be super-duper lathery?

Thank you. My soap is made and cut and seems fine. I made up the powder into 1:1 concentrate with water, then froze it. I totally forgot it was still a concentrate when I took it out of the freezer (despite it being written on it!), and used 320g frozen with only 100g additional water. It should have had 320g water to make it normal aloe juice. Maybe it will just be super-duper lathery?
I prefer super lathery soap.

Back