Aloe Vera powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lisa101 that looks very nice. I think the heat of the lye water would indeed bring out more colour.

nature coast I agree regarding qualities in a rinse off product and label appeal is what I think a lot of addition give unless they really do affect the feel of the lather and the creaminess or hardness of a soap.

Someone may have already mentioned this... You could try dissolving your aloe powder in the water and then freezing it to cube or thick slush before stirring the lye into it Or you could try placing your mixing container in an ice water bath. This usually will reduce and sometimes eliminate the scorching.

View attachment 43705 This is the cut of the first aloe soap. The one where I added it to the cooled lye water. I added some kaolin to half of the batter which is the lighter colour you can see. I’m quite liking the colour atm but I have a feeling that it might end up on the brownish side when it’s cured. (Sorry the pics dark, I crept down during the night to cut it. Not addicted at all!!)
I’ve just poured another batch and I added it to the water before adding the lye this time and it seemed to bring out a lot more colour. It’s looking VERY brown right now. It’s in a bastille loaf for my daughters sensitive skin and I’ve tried to keep it as natural as possible so whatever colour it ends up, I’m sure it’ll be a great natural colourant
Thanks for the results. It will help a lot. Getting ready to do a batch myself and I will report back with my results.

You could try dissolving your aloe powder in the water and then freezing it to cube or thick slush before stirring the lye into it Or you could try placing your mixing container in an ice water bath. This usually will reduce and sometimes eliminate the scorching.

There is really no need -- aloe doesn't seem to scorch. @lisa101 's scorching was probably due to the sugar. (I like that soap!)

I also use aloe sometimes for boosting lather. Have not done a real blind experiment about it, but it does seem to do something.

There is really no need -- aloe doesn't seem to scorch. @lisa101 's scorching was probably due to the sugar. (I like that soap!)

I also use aloe sometimes for boosting lather. Have not done a real blind experiment about it, but it does seem to do something.

Go on do that blind test as I would love to know if there is anything different other than lather boost.

Go on do that blind test as I would love to know if there is anything different other than lather boost.
You can always do the test yourself :) Aloe is at least pretty cheap and really easy to work with, so I use it a lot in my soap. I would be skeptical of other benefits apart from the lather boost (but lather boost is important for me).

You can always do the test yourself :) Aloe is at least pretty cheap and really easy to work with, so I use it a lot in my soap. I would be skeptical of other benefits apart from the lather boost (but lather boost is important for me).

Well indeed I could but i would have to buy in aloe specially and I dont feel challenged enough to both TBH plus I doubt as you say there is much else apart from lather boost which I get just fine with sugar and SL. But were it to really soothe the skin and be noticeable well that would be another matter.

Hi there.
I just bought some aloe vera powder today and I tried to reconstitute it in water. I tried hot and cold water, and in both cases, all It made was a sticky tar-like lump on my spoon. It won't dissolve. and its almost impossible to scrape off.

I also tried to mix it with oil and it doesn't dissolve (obviously), the powder flecks just float around. But at least it doesn't create a rock hard tarry booger on my spoon.

Have any of you had a similar experience with aloe powder?
Do you think I will dissolve in lye? or must I just mix it with a bit of oil and add it at trace.
What would you guys recommend?

I'm super bummed

Attachments

• EN aloe powder.jpg
    EN aloe powder.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 14
Yes, you always want to dissolve your powders in the water before adding the lye.

I use aloe juice as a total water replacement, it never scorches or smells. It just as easy as plain water.
Hi. If adding powders like goat's milk or aloe to water before mixing lye, does the heat make them ineffective?

Hi. If adding powders like goat's milk or aloe to water before mixing lye, does the heat make them ineffective?

I guess that depends on what you mean by ineffective. If I use aloe or milk, its to increase lather so no, heat and lye does not effect that.

If you mean the skin soothing/softening properties, those don't survive the lye regardless of when they are added.

Hi there.
I just bought some aloe vera powder today and I tried to reconstitute it in water. I tried hot and cold water, and in both cases, all It made was a sticky tar-like lump on my spoon. It won't dissolve. and its almost impossible to scrape off.

I also tried to mix it with oil and it doesn't dissolve (obviously), the powder flecks just float around. But at least it doesn't create a rock hard tarry booger on my spoon.

Have any of you had a similar experience with aloe powder?
Do you think I will dissolve in lye? or must I just mix it with a bit of oil and add it at trace.
What would you guys recommend?

I'm super bummed
How much aloe did you try to dissolve in how much water?
Keep in mind that the 100x or 200x strength aloe powder means you need a *very little* aloe in a whole lot of water (1g aloe in 200g water, for instance). It is a really teensy amount. So if you try to dissolve much more than that, it may lead to strange results.
I have never had problems with aloe powder. I usually dissolve it in my split water and then mix it to the 50% lye solution. It works well.

H there @atiz. I figured out the problem.
I did some googling and found out that when harvesting aloe, some folks just drain out the latex, the Sticky yellow sap.
They then cook the latex over a fire until it is reduced to crystals. Those crystals made from the latex sap is then used as a laxative and has no benefits for the skin. It also turns to a black sticky tar when mixed with water.
Apparently the "Powdered aloe" that I bought was a powdered version of the dried aloe latex/sap.

Proper aloe powder, on the other hand, is made from an aloe leaf, AFTER the latex sap has been removed. They then finely slice the leaf and with the aloe gel core up and leave it to dry. Once it had dried/dehydrated. then it is ground up into a fine powder. If you mix that powder with water, It reconstitutes into a gel, and it has loads of health benefits for the skin.

So I apparently bought 2 boxes of frikkn laxative 😢

Latest posts

Back