Aloe Vera powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa101

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m recently new to soaping and hope you can help with a question I’ve got.
I have an order due in the next day or so with some Aloe Vera powder in it. From what I’ve read I need to add it at trace for cold process soaping. With it being water soluble do I dissolve it in a bit of distilled water before adding it or do I just add it as it is and then blend/mix?? T.I.A

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Probably someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but as far as I know you can add it either after trace or when you dissolve the lye. If you first reconstitute the aloe powder with water, you basically get aloe juice, and you can just dissolve your lye in it. That's what I usually do, but am pretty sure that adding it at trace works too.

Thanks for your reply atiz, that’s really helpful. That had crossed my mind, but I was worried about it scorching.
If I did it that way would I need to freeze the aloe juice before using?

Thanks for your reply atiz, that’s really helpful. That had crossed my mind, but I was worried about it scorching.
If I did it that way would I need to freeze the aloe juice before using?
In my experience aloe doesn't scorch. If you use aloe juice it is like dissolving the lye in water -- really easy. Let us know how it goes!

In my experience aloe doesn't scorch. If you use aloe juice it is like dissolving the lye in water -- really easy. Let us know how it goes!
I’m planning on having a go tomorrow, I’ll let you know how I get on. Thanks very much for your help

So far, so good. I added it to the lye water and blended it in but there was a few bits that didn’t seem to want to dissolve. I put it in when it was cool. Should I have added it when the water was still
8FB99829-06AC-468D-B98E-D30791C3DB33.jpeg
hot? The lye water went really dark brown but I think that might be because I had a tsp of salt and sugar in there too.
It seemed to trace slightly faster than normal but not massively.
It’s still too soft to cut atm but I’ll post a pic when I’ve done it.
Todd Ziegler it was just the normal strength organic powder I used.

So far, so good. I added it to the lye water and blended it in but there was a few bits that didn’t seem to want to dissolve. I put it in when it was cool. Should I have added it when the water was still View attachment 43650 hot? The lye water went really dark brown but I think that might be because I had a tsp of salt and sugar in there too.
It seemed to trace slightly faster than normal but not massively.
It’s still too soft to cut atm but I’ll post a pic when I’ve done it.
Todd Ziegler it was just the normal strength organic powder I used.
I had similar questions about honey powder. The advice I got was to mix it in your water and then add your lye to it. But if your way works then that's just fine.

I had similar questions about honey powder. The advice I got was to mix it in your water and then add your lye to it. But if your way works then that's just fine.
Thanks for that. I’ll do it that way next time and see if it makes any difference

Yes, you always want to dissolve your powders in the water before adding the lye.

I use aloe juice as a total water replacement, it never scorches or smells. It just as easy as plain water.
That’s very helpful. Thank you

Do people who use aloe in their soaps honestly find it soothing or making an actual difference on the skin or any other particular feel. Is it just a placebo effect and scientifically not really doing anything? I ask as I have never used it. I cannot honestly say that calendula for example soothes the skin in soaps despite its reputation, great for colouring but no difference in feel IMHO.

I don't find it soothing at all. What it does do is boost the lather and help create bigger bubbles, at least with my recipe.

Sugar, milk, beer, all the other additives that are popular for increasing lather just don't work for me. Aloe does and it is a noticable difference.

I don't find it soothing at all. What it does do is boost the lather and help create bigger bubbles, at least with my recipe.

Sugar, milk, beer, all the other additives that are popular for increasing lather just don't work for me. Aloe does and it is a noticable difference.

Well that is very interesting and didn't know that it increased lather, sugar and milks work well for me on that score, I wonder why they dont for you? I am intrigued!

I'm testing the aloe right now. I have a batch that I divided into 2 parts... 1/2 with Aloe and 1/2 without aloe. I'll report back my findings once the cure time is over

6AC52EDB-92C7-40A9-A89B-9BEAF84B9335.jpeg
This is the cut of the first aloe soap. The one where I added it to the cooled lye water. I added some kaolin to half of the batter which is the lighter colour you can see. I’m quite liking the colour atm but I have a feeling that it might end up on the brownish side when it’s cured. (Sorry the pics dark, I crept down during the night to cut it. Not addicted at all!!)
I’ve just poured another batch and I added it to the water before adding the lye this time and it seemed to bring out a lot more colour. It’s looking VERY brown right now. It’s in a bastille loaf for my daughters sensitive skin and I’ve tried to keep it as natural as possible so whatever colour it ends up, I’m sure it’ll be a great natural colourant

Last edited:
I like to use aloe juice in my soap and have also used aloe powder in my soaps and bath bombs before. While i'm not sure if it soothes or boosts lather , it certainly doesn't hurt and the has great label appeal. I find that additive positive benefits are hard to measure especially in rinse off products like soap. Lye creates a harsh environment in any case so a lot natural benefits from additives are neutralized during the cold process.

Back