Aloe Vera Juice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use aloe vera juice as a substitute for all of the water or part of it. I usually use it as part of the liquid and water for the other part. I dissolve the lye in water first. You can add the aloe juice to the mixed oils and blend, then add your lye/water mixture. If I am using aloe vera liquid as the full amount for liquid, I usually freeze the juice in a baggie and break it up into pieces before adding the lye to the juice. I add a little lye at a time to the frozen juice, stirring after each addition.

Hi. I make my popular Aloe Vera soap with Aloe Vera gel and completely as a substitution for my water. I have had no problems, but when using the gel, just make sure the NaOH is completely dissolved. Again, no problems there.

I use Aloe Vera Juice for full replacement sometimes. But I masterbatch my lye most times so it's split method. I don't freeze it. It's usually just cold from the fridge.

I use aloe vera juice at room temperature. It turns a yellowish color when you add the lye, but the color doesn't affect the soap. Before I started masterbatching lye, I added the lye to the AVJ, with that being 100% of the liquid.

I've used aloe vera juice for partial and whole water replacement in the past, and it worked well. I now use aloe vera powder 200x added to the remaining water (i masterbatch my lye) before combining with masterbatched lye and find that works better for me, both in the soap and in storage space.

I use aloe vera juice for many of my soap recipes. As mentioned you can use it as your total liquid or part of your liquid. I like to keep my gallon jug of aloe juice in the fridge so its chilled and ready to use on soap making days.

what ratio does everyone use if using aloe vera juice as a full water replacement?
I keep a gallon of Aloe Vera Juice on hand. I sub 100% juice for the water to make lotions and creams. I don't use it in soap.

Ingredients: Organic Aloe Vera Gel (water and aloe vera gel concentrate), Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate (a food preservative at 1/10 of 1%).

Thanks @dmcgee5034. I was more concerned that there might be something about this particular brand of aloe vera that shouldn't be used in soap making. I normally buy my AVJ from New Directions Aromatics or Voyageur Candle & Soap Co. as I live in Canada. I just ran out of what I had and wanted to make some soap. I had no idea that this was sold in our Walmart here, and so I popped out and picked up a jug. But when I came home and re-read the post, I noticed that the comment mentioned that it Zany didn't use it in soap making, and I was wondering if I had missed something. Thanks again! :)

I use the Walmart AVJ in all of the soap I make
Me too. I use it as a complete substitution for water, both in my masterbatch lye-water mix and my additional water. I started doing it because it is supposed to be better for bubbles, think I noticed that (it was so long ago I don't remember it, honestly) and have used it ever since.

Now that I've typed that out I wonder what effect the lye has on it in the master batch, it often takes me a month to six weeks to use it up, I would think lye at that concentration and for that amount of time might eliminate any of the organic benefits of aloe vera. Hmm.

ETA: I've been thinking of switching to vinegar but have been reluctant because it's hard to dislodge the idea it will change the scent of my FO, despite all knowledgeable assurances otherwise. I guess it's time.

Thank you for your response! That makes me feel better about using this brand in my soap tomorrow! :)

But now I too have been pondering the thought of trying to use vinegar instead of AVJ? And so, I think I might just try making up a small batch with this one and swap out the AVJ for white vinegar to see if I can see any difference. Just what I need, more soap! lol :D

I had no idea that this was sold in our Walmart here, and so I popped out and picked up a jug. But when I came home and re-read the post, I noticed that the comment mentioned that it Zany didn't use it in soap making, and I was wondering if I had missed something. Thanks again! :)
I get that same one from Wally World 😉

Now that I've typed that out I wonder what effect the lye has on it in the master batch, it often takes me a month to six weeks to use it up, I would think lye at that concentration and for that amount of time might eliminate any of the organic benefits of aloe vera. Hmm.
Awww darn, did you have to wonder about that? 😬😂😬

But now I too have been pondering the thought of trying to use vinegar instead of AVJ? And so, I think I might just try making up a small batch with this one and swap out the AVJ for white vinegar to see if I can see any difference. Just what I need, more soap! lol :D
Vinegar doesn't increase lather like AVJ does, so if you use vinegar, plan on using some other form of sugar for the lather boost that you will lose by removing the AVJ.

Vinegar leaves zero smell in the finished soap. To me, it somehow makes the lather... softer, maybe? I could feel a difference but couldn't quite describe it.

Vinegar does make the soap harden sooner, like sodium lactate or salt, so you can unmold sooner. Just remember to adjust the lye whenever you use vinegar. ;)

Back