aloe vera juice?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've seen recipes using AVJ for an ingredient. What are the benefits of AVJ? Would you add that to any soap recipe or are there recipes better suited for it?

Is this right? Just substitute the AVJ for your water when you mix your lye? Then make soap as usual?

Do you think it would make any noticeable difference in a soap?

Hi -

You can sub the Aloe Vera Juice for water or add gel at trace. I've tried both and both work well. It's easier for me to use the juice for the liquid.

Aloe has many natural healing benefits to skin. As a wash off product and one that is interacting with lye - it would be hard to say how much of the beneficial properties are left for the skin to utilize. It does give the soap a nice slip which can also be obtained by using silk. However - silk is not considered a "veggie" product and Aloe would be preferable for all veggie soaps.

I'll give it a try. It doesn't seem to expensive, $7.99/qt. at GNC. Sounds like you could make at least 3-4 batches with that, probably more at my 3# batch size. I'll just use it instead of water when making my lye mix. Thanks!

I agree with Mar!
I get mine at Sam' for under $6.00 a gallon.Sam's sell it as a nutritional supplement, so it is in with the soaps and vitamins area. I am still on the fence about keeping it refrigerated after opening as it recommends. My soaping refrigerator is small and full.
Paul got me started on it!
Not sure if the benefits carry through as already stated, but you can add aloe to your label :wink:
It works great with the Paul method of CP oh I mean the RTCP process.
Jeff

I can't find it at Walmart online. Not a member of Sams. I guess I get to pay $2 more, but I'd probably spend that on gas if I drove to Walmart or Sams just for the AVJ. I've got a GNC less than a mile from here. I'll walk over and pay nothing for gas! :) Might get some exercise too, been meaning to turn over a new leaf and get back on my exercise plan. :)

I'm gonna try it. I don't have any label to feed but I can tell my friends and family and maybe they will suffer a small thrill. ;)

Jeff, that is a really good price. Up here in Canada the cheapest I can get it for is $16.95 for 3.8L or a gallon basically. When I was down in the States in March I made sure my suitcase had room for one to bring back. Down there I paid $7.95 for the same product.

My dh is going to have to make frequent trips down there, so he is going to have to make sure that suitcase has room.LOL, because he is not going to like it.

Laurie

I'm waiting for my Aloe plants to perk up so that I can try it too. I almost ruint 'em leaving them out in the sun :shock:

Greg,
You are paying for a qt right? Sam's and walmart sell it by the gallon! Sam's is clearer and cheaper then walmart. I think Walmart is $7 - 8. Sam's is around $6.
You can look at it the next time you have to go to walmart :wink:

Jeanette

I think I some of my neurons aren't firing properly. :) I got my units confused.

My price notes were messy. Yes, $7.99 per qt. I discovered that I noted the price of either AVG or AVJ for $19.99 per gal at GNC. What thieves! :)

Now we're talking like I had better do some driving. Actually I have a friend who is a member of Sams. He can take me shopping there and I'll lay some free soap on him. I bet his GF will like it. :)

Is there anything else soapy that I should look for at Sams?

Thanks Jeanette! :)

Lovehound said:
I think I some of my neurons aren't firing properly. :) I got my units confused.

My price notes were messy. Yes, $7.99 per qt. I discovered that I noted the price of either AVG or AVJ for $19.99 per gal at GNC. What thieves! :)

Now we're talking like I had better do some driving. Actually I have a friend who is a member of Sams. He can take me shopping there and I'll lay some free soap on him. I bet his GF will like it. :)

Is there anything else soapy that I should look for at Sams?

Thanks Jeanette! :)

OILS!!! Olive/Canola/Soybean....MUCH CHEAPER! :)

Exactly, check out the oils. Also if you wanted to try lard in soap, sam's in the west carries "snow cap" brand lard, it is said to be without a piggy aroma. I got some from Walmart and it smells yucky piggy (amour brand) almost tempted to take it back and try a different can. It almost has a rancid oder.
Oh the other thing that I have read on here that you might want to get at Sam's is the mini eclaires!!! The tub makes for a great soap mixing bowl!! :lol:
Have fun shopping!

BTW Farmer John lard from my local Ralphs Market isn't piggy at all, zero piggy. FWIW :)

I'll let y'all know if I do a Sam's shopping trip. :)

Back