Aloe vera juice users, need advice....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallerygirl

Reaction score
How do you incorporate it into your soaps??? AND do you add some into your scrubs?? I don't make lotions, which I think it would be good in, but I can't see it being something to add to body butter. I would appreciate any advice/guidance. k

I just recently started adding it to my CP soaps, and I mix it in with my water before I add the lye. Whatever amount of aloe vera juice I want to add I substract that same amount from my total water amount. So, if my normal water amount is 10.75 ounces and I want to put 1 ounce of aloe vera juice in the recipe, I just decrease the total water amount by 1 ounce down to 9.75 ounces. Hope this helps.

Chris

if i use it in soap it is used as 100% of my lye liquid.

i've used it to make lotion but i didn't care for it as much as the lotion i make with goats milk.

i do use it for my emulsified body butter and a body yogurt i make.

I do the 50/50 lye/aloe solution that Paul has introduced here. You know adding the lye to the aloe. Then when I am ready to make soap I just top up the liquids to whatever amount the recipe calls for. The liquids could be more aloe or water or gm or cm or a mixture or whatever.

Hope that helps. I know there are threads about this too that explain it much better. I know whre they are, just not quite sure how to put it here.

Laurie

when I tried to use aloe vera in place of water I dont think all my lye dissolved...what did I mess up?? I used fresh aloe vera gel instead of juice so that might be it, but I did mix it with water so I dont know what gives!?!? Im going to pick up some aloe juice next time but whats the best way to use the gel in soaps?? just at trace (tried that on the second run and it worked well...but id like to incorporate much more to it )

Thanks everyone! Ian, I have the gel too, but picked up the juice because of the thickness of the gel worried me. k

Aloe vera juice is mostly water, 96 to 99%. People drink it for all the good vitamins and enzymes it contains. You can buy aloe powder online in different (X) like 10X up to 100X and mix it yourself. I do buy the aloe vera juice at Sams. Like Laurie mentioned, I mix 50/50 aloe vera juice with lye, by weight to make a premixed 50% strength solution. I add GM after emulsification if doing CP, or after cook doing HP. I add enough GM to bring the solution down to about 30%. :wink:

Paul

gallerygirl said:
...AND do you add some into your scrubs?? I don't make lotions, which I think it would be good in, but I can't see it being something to add to body butter. I would appreciate any advice/guidance. k

If you use it in your scrubs, you'll need an emulsifier so it will mix with your oils & probably a preservative. I haven't used it in mine, but just from what I see in other people's recipes those are the additives. There might be another, not sure about that. :lol:

I know a lot of people use it in creams and lotions, but the last time I used it in place of all my water in a cream, I got weird stuff happening with the emulsion. It could have been just a reaction with my e-wax, but I didn't like it and won't do it again. I use it as 100% of the liquid in soaps sometimes and don't have any problem dissolving. I recently got the powder and may try that with a lotion.

Back