Aloe Vera Juice - is adding a little effective?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning!

I spent several months working on a soap formula that was low cost but still good. For instance, I stopped using jojoba oil in my soap. However, I still think my recipe could be improved. I've been reading a lot about Aloe Vera Juice, and I want to experiment with it, but replacing water with aloe would make my costs soar. Does replacing a small percentage of water with AVJ have any benefits? If not, I think I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Thank you for any input you have to offer!
Stephanie

I agree with Obsidian. Are you looking to save money on your whole recipe? If so you can post your recipe and we can give you a better idea of how to save money.

I Think you really need to replace all your water with the aloe. Where did you price the aloe? A gallon at walmart is only around $6

I was just looking on Google to see what's out there. I was searching for gallon jugs, which is how I buy my water. I found juice for $15 on eBay and $28 at Natural Healthy Concepts, and $27 at All Star Health, compared to a few dollars for a gallon of distilled water it seems a little frivolous. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Walmart.

My current recipe is:
40% Olive
30% Coconut
20% Palm
5% Sweet Almond (used to be Jojoba), I honestly liked jojoba more just too pricey
5% Castor

I was just looking on Google to see what's out there. I was searching for gallon jugs, which is how I buy my water. I found juice for $15 on eBay and $28 at Natural Healthy Concepts, and $27 at All Star Health, compared to a few dollars for a gallon of distilled water it seems a little frivolous. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Walmart.

My current recipe is:
40% Olive
30% Coconut
20% Palm
5% Sweet Almond (used to be Jojoba), I honestly liked jojoba more just too pricey
5% Castor
Walmart Aloe juice is just fine, many people here use it. As far as buying gallon size items and since you live in Ohio, I recommend soaper's Choice. You actually live near wholesale supplies plus but they have a 9-14 processing time and soaper's Choice will ship same day in stock items as long as you put your order in before noon.

Your recipe looks good, my "normal" soap recipe is similar except instead of sweet almond I use Avocado oil. Have you tried your current recipe with just water? It might be just fine, bubbly creamy, Maybe add kaolin clay for a little extra slip at a super low price point.

Your recipe looks good, my "normal" soap recipe is similar except instead of sweet almond I use Avocado oil. Have you tried your current recipe with just water? It might be just fine, bubbly creamy, Maybe add kaolin clay for a little extra slip at a super low price point.

Hi Llyshanevaeh,
Yeah, the recipe I posted has been my go-to for a while now. The one before that used jojoba instead of almond, and I liked it better, but again, the price point is important to me. I was looking for a little more oomph, which is why I was looking into AVJ. I was motivated because I recently used soap made by someone else, and it felt silky or maybe slicker; it made me think my soap needed something more. Not sure how to describe that. They didn't disclose their recipe other than it was vegan, so I'm not sure what they included. I'll look into kaolin clay too, thank you for the recommendation!

That sounds like a good deal! I'll see if my Walgreens has anything like that.

Walmart Aloe juice is just fine, many people here use it. As far as buying gallon size items and since you live in Ohio, I recommend soaper's Choice. You actually live near wholesale supplies plus but they have a 9-14 processing time and soaper's Choice will ship same day in stock items as long as you put your order in before noon.

I love Soaper's Choice; I didn't realize they sold AVJ. I've never looked into Aloe Vera to add to soap before and hadn't realized they sold it there. I'll take a look at their pricing. I've always thought of aloe as sunburn and skin irritant relief, not realizing it was more versatile.

Sometimes I hate posting in this forum because I always sound so ignorant, oh well!
I drive by Wholesale Supplies Plus occasionally but I've never gone, I know they have a store for pickup, but I think it's closed right now. I have made the drive to Natures Garden in the past and was not disappointed.

I love Soaper's Choice; I didn't realize they sold AVJ. I've never looked into Aloe Vera to add to soap before and hadn't realized they sold it there. I'll take a look at their pricing. I've always thought of aloe as sunburn and skin irritant relief, not realizing it was more versatile.

Sometimes I hate posting in this forum because I always sound so ignorant, oh well!
I drive by Wholesale Supplies Plus occasionally but I've never gone, I know they have a store for pickup, but I think it's closed right now. I have made the drive to Natures Garden in the past and was not disappointed.
Soaper's Choice does not sell AVJ, sorry for the confusion.

Let's face it, if you are going to make good soap you are going to have to spend money. I sell and I still opt to spend money on additives such as sorbitol, sodium gluconate, EDTA, vinegar as water replacement, and I fragrance on the high end. It is what makes my soap sell. At my Walmart Aloe is $7 per gallon I do not remember what I spend for gallons of vinegar. Sometimes I use powdered milks, clays etc, you want quality it does cost.

Hi there -

Could I suggest you could try powdered aloe vera concentrate? The concentrate I use is 200x so the amount used is actually super tiny - I think WSP have Crafters Choice 100x powder (1/2 oz for $9.60). Also it has a year shelf life - I always store it with a desiccant sachet though as it is inclined to clump. I've just used some in a goat milk, aloe and honey soap and I really like the feel of it. I always use kaolin clay too. :)

I started out using my own aloe plants, but it was taking so much time blending and filtering that I decided to try some store-bought stuff. This is the aloe I've been using from Walmart. You can order it online. Fruit of the Earth aloe from WM

I have a great memory of how I got my first aloe plant. I had picked up my daughter and granddaughter from their house in Orlando in an old junk car I had at the time. Of course, we broke down on the way back to my house. Luckily, I was able to pull into an Olive Garden restaurant and call my mom (and AAA) to come save us. My mom arrived right about the time it started to rain so we all ran over to a canopy on Olive Garden's back door for safekeeping. As we were standing there, I noticed a bed of beautiful aloe so I took a small pup. I know, not the brightest thing to do, but what a great memory to trigger every time I look at that original pot of aloe. This the original plant, well thinned of course...
Aloe.jpg

Good morning!

I spent several months working on a soap formula that was low cost but still good. For instance, I stopped using jojoba oil in my soap. However, I still think my recipe could be improved. I've been reading a lot about Aloe Vera Juice, and I want to experiment with it, but replacing water with aloe would make my costs soar. Does replacing a small percentage of water with AVJ have any benefits? If not, I think I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Thank you for any input you have to offer!
Stephanie
One of my best soaps and most liked by my church members is my peppermint lime soap made with aloe Vera juice. All of my water was replaced with aloe Vera juice which I freshly blended from an Aloe Vera leaf I purchased at the store. After the cure there’s still bits of aloe in the soap but they are harmless I’m trying my next batch with some silk to enhance the feel of the soap. This is my lavender soap with AVJ which is also lovely. Can’t find the peppermint soap picture.

Attachments

• 495EBEE7-06DB-44D7-A048-4C63975B67DF.jpeg
    495EBEE7-06DB-44D7-A048-4C63975B67DF.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 33
  • A2BDFC04-8071-4254-B1C0-E39BA7395909.jpeg
    A2BDFC04-8071-4254-B1C0-E39BA7395909.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 36
Let's face it, if you are going to make good soap you are going to have to spend money. I sell and I still opt to spend money on additives such as sorbitol, sodium gluconate, EDTA, vinegar as water replacement, and I fragrance on the high end. It is what makes my soap sell. At my Walmart Aloe is $7 per gallon I do not remember what I spend for gallons of vinegar. Sometimes I use powdered milks, clays etc, you want quality it does cost.

Very true reminder, thank you, that helps me not feel so bad about some of the supplies I already have. I'm curious, and you don't have to answer if you don't feel inclined. Do you use the same additives in all your soaps, or do you change them up? I realize that's a loaded question because you could make soap for specific uses like face, hair, body. Let's limit my question to just body soap. Do you typically use the same recipe for all your body soaps? (except for essential oils or fragrance oils and colorants). My goal has been to have one good recipe for all my soaps, and I feel you'll be honest with me if that's unreasonable.

Have you considered canola for the SAO? I know some call it a trash ingredient but it feels luxurious in the soaps I've had it in. Silky. I do like SAO but it's pricey.

Hope
Hi Hope,
Thanks for the recommendation! I know some people love canola, but I've never tried it myself. I'll experiment with it and see how it goes!

RBO is cheap here and I use it at 20% in my recipe.
I also go to my friends house and chop the bejeezus out of her aloe vera plant and peel it and juice it. Then freeze it in baggies. Cost = nothin' but time. That stuff grows like a weed.
It looks like I have a lot of testing to do, between RBO, AVJ, Canola, and Kaolin. I think I might find a better recipe soon. Thank you for the recommendation!

I do have an aloe plant in my kitchen, but he's tiny. I have him in a small pot; maybe I should re-pot him, so he grows some more.

Latest posts

Back