Aloe Lotion Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
I’m very out of practice making lotions of any kind but I’m heading to Greece next month and I have a feeling I’ll need some sort of sunburn relief. To avoid triggering the TSA when I check in and out of concern for the language barrier, I was figuring a lotion bar might be the way to go. With luck I’ll be able to count my 3oz of liquid towards prevention instead.

How does this sound:
20% aloe with lidocaine
20% beeswax
60% coconut/babassu/shea

Those are the three solid oils/butter I have. I can get ahold of Crisco if anyone thinks palm would help. I obviously don’t want to need refrigeration. Would liquid oils be too goopy?

I'm sorry I'm not very familiar with lotion making, but I know a little bit about burn treatment. I would be very weary to put something with such a high amount of oils on a burn wound (sunburn is, and should be treated as a normal 1st or 2nd degree burn). Burns can get worse within the first 24-48hours, especially if you insulate the burned skin with oils. If you don't want to bring aftersun on the plane, you can always buy just enough to last the trip upon arrival in Greece. For (sun)burn relief I really like using Aloe gel. Aloe vera has the same name in most languages, so probably there won't be too much of a language barrier either. And if you're lucky, I think you could even find aloe growing in the wild and just snatch off a leaf (or two). It's cultivated in Greece, so I wouldn't be surprised if it would grow in the wild as well ;)

Just so you know, TSA may also want a closer look at a lotion bar. It can look like C4 density-wise. So be prepared for that if you pack it in your carry-on or even your checked baggage. Any organic substance the consistency of C4 will trigger a closer look, even kids play-dough.

*sidetrack warning* ugh.. what doesn't trigger a closer look by TSA.. I was once stopped because I was carrying suspicious looking cheese. Had to toss it or eat it, so guess who ate almost half a pound of brie at 3pm!

I guess this will be a no go for now, we were hoping to not check any bags. Maybe I’ll coordinate with family to get everything covered. We’re going for a wedding, so lots of us will be there

Latest posts

Back