Aloe Juice...What does it do?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garland68

Reaction score
I am a one of those people who just has to know:) and I have seen many of you talking about and using Aloe Juice instead of water in your lye solution and I just want to know why:) Does it provide any conditioning benefits? Is it a texture thing? The only reason that I ask this is because I would think that the reaction with the lye would destroy any healthy benefits it may provide.

i don't have any lab results, but I think it helps the soap feel, smoother, more satin like feeling. i don't know if any of the many minerals and vitamins in aloe vera survive the saponification process or not, but i can tell you this;
The label appeal factor is phenomenal! When my customers at craft shows see I use aloe vera juice, silk, and goat's milk, they really like what the see and tell me after they used my soap, their skin never felt smoother! 8)

That is my take on using aloe vera juice in my soaps. I have been using aloe vera for over a year now in soaps and lotions. It is definitely the "in" thing these days in B&B products.

Soapmaker Man said:
i don't have any lab results, but I think it helps the soap feel, smoother, more satain like feeling. i don't know if any of the many minerals and vitamins in aloe vera survive the saponification process or not, but i can tell you this;
The label appeal factor is phenomenal! When my customers at craft shows see I use aloe vera juice, silk, and goat's milk, they really like what the see and tell me after they used my soap, their skin never felt smoother! 8)

That is my take on using aloe vera juice in my soaps. I have been using aloe vera for over a year now in soaps and lotions. It is definitely the "in" thing these days in B&B products.

HERE HERE
I second that motion !!!

When you use aloe vera in soaps, does it shorten the shelf-life of the soap? Since I've been doing so much research, I've been seeing all kinds of recipes that have "food" products like various juices, etc. Do you need to use some type of preservative in your soap then?

What is the silk you use in soaps?

Sorry for all the ?'s, but I can plead total newby ignorance! :oops:

Mandy

I personally can't get excited about adding ground fruits and veggies to my soaps

but I do the milks and aloe juice in mine and I also use tomato juice in my facial soap. But the chemical reaction that takes places changes the liquids so a preservative isn't needed with these liquids.

Hi!

Silk adds slip to the bar and helps it glide over the skin.

I use goats milk, coconut milk, buttermilk, cream, tomato, carrots and pumpkin in my soaps. Depends on the season and my mood. My best selling bar is an Oatmeal goat milk and honey soap with pumpkin puree. My first go at carrots and buttermilk sold out in two days. Both are scent and color free.

I agree with Faithy and Marr! I've used pumpkin and avocado puree in soaps along with the aloe vera juice and have some soap in a collection that is a year old that has aloe vera juice and is better today than it was then, great soap to shower with, hard bar and huge and creamy bubbles!
As Faithy mentioned, the saponification process takes care of any need for preservatives. Remember, soap is basically a salt formation, chemically speaking and won't "spoil" on it's own.

Paul

anyone ever think that fresh cut aloe smells lke hamburger?? i dont know why but I feel like it reminds me of hamburger or something like it...just a funny little tidbit.

I have some growing out on my patio. I use it instead of shaving lotion/cream, just cut a leaf in half and rub it all over...then afterwards again as a lotion to remoisturize my skin...anyone make a shave bar with aloe??....I d love to make one with aloe vera and tea tree, would probably give you that lovely crisp feeling after shaving like aaaaaah...freshness!...

Back