aloe gel - juice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emilee

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding aloe juice in New Zealand cheap enough that I would consider using it for soap.

Could you somehow mix aloe gel with water and get the same effect as juice, and then use it for mixing with the lye?

I really don't see why the gel would not work. I would definately try. I might try for you and let you know. Happy soaping!

I'm not so sure it would work the same because of all the other ingredients used in the aloe gel that turned it from a liquid into a gel. But I could be wrong. But the hard part would be knowing how much water to add to get the correct amount.

I think you can just use aloe gel and not have to mix it with any water. Just be sure to do so at trace.

And if you have fresh aloe leaf, just stick it in the blender (and also add at trace). Aloe plants are very easy to find at our local garden nursery.

I fould aloe juice at the drug store where the pharmaceuticals are sold it was $9 for a gallon. I am planning to use it instead of my water. Haven't tried it yet/ But want to say thanks for the post on the blender. I just bought several aloe plants to use but wasn't sure how to add the blender idea sounds great.

You can buy powdered aloe from many sources online - mix that with your water to make aloe juice. That's what I do.

aloe juice

if memory still serves me www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com has powdered aloe, which would probably save you a bunch on shipping. simply reconstitute with distilled water.

aloe gel that contains carbomer as a thickener should not be used. i found it hindered lyes effect.

if i may make a suggestion, substitute 25-50% of the water with aloe. i've used
the kind you can drink at 100% of liquid and had very uneven results. the aloe in the blender part, make sure to strains the big chunks of leaf out as it turns very brown and slimey.

good luck soaping!

monet

There is no point using aloe gel if you're not going to buy the top quality stuff. For Aloe Vera to be efficient, it needs to be at least 96% pure Aloe Vera juice or gel.

Aloe Vera plants aren't a good idea to use in soaps as the quality and potency of their gel is easily affected by environmental conditions and plants grown in less than ideal conditions will have little beneficial value in your soap.

If you want to put Aloe vera in your soap for its medicinal value you should use certified Aloe vera juice, this will guarantee that it is 96% pure aloe vera juice.

Lifestream sell a great range of certified aloe vera products. It's a NZ compmany so you should be able to find them at your local health food shop. Here is the link to their website: http://www.lifestream.co.nz/Products/Li ... d/115.aspx

I hope this helps

Emilee said:
I'm having a hard time finding aloe juice in New Zealand cheap enough that I would consider using it for soap.

Could you somehow mix aloe gel with water and get the same effect as juice, and then use it for mixing with the lye?[/

Latest posts

Back