Aloe Facial Cleanser

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
Anyone try using aloe vera gel as a mild facial cleanser? Thoughts?

I found aloe to be very drying to my skin. I would not use it straight on my face at all. I used to use it on my skin when I was younger until I noticed how dry it made my skin feel. It may have been how it was prepared, but I never felt the need to search for an aloe product that didn't cause the drying effect, but perhaps they are out there. At this point in my life, I am happy with what works for me, and straight aloe doesn't.

Here is an interesting article: https://plumgoodness.com/blogs/plumblogs/14992785-what-pure-aloe-gel-is-not-a-complete-moisturizer

Are you talking about the gel straight from the plant? Or the stuff in the bottle you buy at the store? The stuff from the store probably has alcohol in it, which is why it is cooling.

Both.

The bottled stuff I used to buy at the store - about 30 - 35 years ago, though. It probably did have alcohol in it.

I also tried straight from the plant as well, as my mom who grew up on a cactus nursery, always grew several varieties of cacti her yard. I didn't like how it made my skin feel straight from the plant either.

I found aloe to be very drying to my skin. I would not use it straight on my face at all. I used to use it on my skin when I was younger until I noticed how dry it made my skin feel. It may have been how it was prepared, but I never felt the need to search for an aloe product that didn't cause the drying effect, but perhaps they are out there. At this point in my life, I am happy with what works for me, and straight aloe doesn't.

Here is an interesting article: https://plumgoodness.com/blogs/plumblogs/14992785-what-pure-aloe-gel-is-not-a-complete-moisturizer

Thanks Earlene.

Trying to come up with a non-soap alternative (something that can be applied with a cotton ball) for my face until my no-CO soap is cured.

I have a bottle of alcohol-free aloe gel in the fridge that I bought to make shealoe.

Think I'll give the recipe below a try this weekend. Its based on recipes that I saw online.

8 parts aloe
1 part lemon juice
1 part agave
1 part almond oil
Orange blossom water to thin​

Lots of people just use plain olive oil (or other oil) as a facial cleanser. I think it's called something like, the oil cleansing method, or something like that. By rubbing the oil over the surface of the skin, then gently wiping it off, the oil loosens the dirt, etc and also moisturizes the skin at the same time. I do believe there are a few members here who have mentioned using this method themselves, so maybe one will check in and comment.

I wash my face with Noxzema (I use the liquid that is more like a lotion than the one that is like a cold cream), and never use soap. My mom used to use actual cold cream to wash her face. In both situations, it's sort of the same as the oil cleansing method, where it is applied all over the skin, then wiped off. Sometimes followed by water, sometimes not.

It can't hurt to try the recipe you found, but I recommend making a really small batch in case you find your skin doesn't react well. For me, lemon juice on my face is far to acidic and all that aloe would also be a problem. Not sure about the agave - is that to be pure natural agave from the agave plant or agave nectar, the sugar substitute? Some folks are fine with facial sugar scrubs, so the agave nectar might be an interesting way to go, but adds some storage & usage issues. Anything with sugar will be an invitation to organisms to grow, so again I suggest a very small batch to trial. Also what kind of container you use matters as well. Putting your fingers repeatedly into the mixture with each use, potentially introduces organisms that can grow and contaminate your cleanser, so a wide mouth jar is not the best storage in this case. A squirt or pump or even a squeeze bottle would be better so you don't introduce unwanted organisms into the mixture each time you use it. And because it's organic, I'd suggest keeping it refrigerated between use.

Not sure about the agave - is that to be pure natural agave from the agave plant or agave nectar, the sugar substitute?

Yeah...agave nectar.

Good advice...thanks again.

Lots of people just use plain olive oil (or other oil) as a facial cleanser. I think it's called something like, the oil cleansing method, or something like that. By rubbing the oil over the surface of the skin, then gently wiping it off, the oil loosens the dirt, etc and also moisturizes the skin at the same time. I do believe there are a few members here who have mentioned using this method themselves, so maybe one will check in and comment.

Hi Earlene,

Ive never heard of oil facial cleansing until u mentioned it. I ended up going that route instead of the aforementioned recipie. I used my beloved soaping almond oil+orange EO. Applied it with a cotton ball. The LA grime left on the ball was disgusting. Then I layed a hot wet washcloth on my face for minute until it cooled and wiped my face off. Left my skin clean, soft and not greasy. Better than soap followed by moisterizer. Thanks for the tip!

Day 2 cleansing with oil. Its amaizing! No greasyness at all. Seems to be helping my skin recover from the damage caused by CO soap that gave me face-fry. Might have to mkt this stuff as face-crack...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, good ol' face fry, been there a few times. Not sure if you are into masks or smearing food on your face but some plain yogurt mixed with a little raw honey is really soothing. Reduces redness, softens skin and helps irritation. It might help your skin feel better, at least for a little while. Just yogurt works too.

I use an emulsified oil cleanser that I make myself. It's similar to the oil-cleansing method, only a little bit of an emulsifier is added in with the oil to help things wash away cleanly with nary any effort. I gently rub that all over my face with my hands, then I wet my hands and gently rub them all over my face again before rinsing with lukewarm water. The added emulsifier creates a mild sudsing action as I gently rub with my wet hands.

I really like it because it thoroughly cleans my face in one go without soaking my face with a hot cloth or the need to scrub (both of which tend to irritate my face and make it red/angry). Depending on how much emulsifier I add, I can control how moisturized or dry my face ends up feeling after washing. My sweet spot seems to be 90% oil and 10% emulsifier.

I have 3 different emulsifiers at my disposal that I've been using (not all in the same cleanser, mind you): PS80, Olivem- 300 and Cromollient SCE. I bought all three at LotionCrafters online.

If you are curious to find out more about it, here's a link to a fairly recent thread mine on emulsified oil cleansing (which also includes links to other member's threads on the same subject): https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/experimenting-with-emulsified-oil-cleansers.69959/

IrishLass :)

I use an emulsified oil cleanser that I make myself. It's similar to the oil-cleansing method, only a little bit of an emulsifier is added in with the oil to help things wash away cleanly with nary any effort. I gently rub that all over my face with my hands, then I wet my hands and gently rub them all over my face again before rinsing with lukewarm water. The added emulsifier creates a mild sudsing action as I gently rub with my wet hands.

I really like it because it thoroughly cleans my face in one go without soaking my face with a hot cloth or the need to scrub (both of which tend to irritate my face and make it red/angry). Depending on how much emulsifier I add, I can control how moisturized or dry my face ends up feeling after washing. My sweet spot seems to be 90% oil and 10% emulsifier.

I have 3 different emulsifiers at my disposal that I've been using (not all in the same cleanser, mind you): PS80, Olivem- 300 and Cromollient SCE. I bought all three at LotionCrafters online.

If you are curious to find out more about it, here's a link to a fairly recent thread mine on emulsified oil cleansing (which also includes links to other member's threads on the same subject): https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/experimenting-with-emulsified-oil-cleansers.69959/

Thx! I’ve been researching emulsifiers today.

Do u think this would work with a natural emulsifier like lecithin?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never tried it, but I can't think of why it shouldn't work. The only thing I would be concerned about is the thick, sticky consistency of lecithin......it makes me wonder how easy/difficult it will be to combine with the oil and what kind of after-feel it'll leave behind on the face. If you have some on hand, it can't hurt to mix up a small batch to find out.

The PS80, Olivem-300 and the Cromollient that I've been using are nicely fluid and easy to work with in comparison to lecithin...at least the liquid soy-based version of lecithin I've always used.

Hopefully, someone who has actually used it for this type of cleanser will chime in.

I also use the oil cleansing method with an emulsifier in it. I use PS80 with a touch of E-wax to give it a little thickness. Keeps it from running all over the place when I pour it in my hand.

Maybe a bit off topic but I did not know Noxzema still existed. When I was young, it was the one thing that gave me true relief from bad sun burn. I did take an aloe leaf and rub it on a little grease burn and it did really well on making it heal really fast.
Cheers
gww

Well @gww this thread is over three years old (or was, until it was revived a few days ago), so what you read in the older posts may not be the state of affairs today. But I do think Noxema is still around ;)

AlieOop
That's ok on old thread as it was in the 70s when I got such relief from the cream. Even if around, might not be the same. I remember burn and pain at night and then after application, waking up to tan and no burn. Course, who knows how much to even trust my memories these days?
Cheers
gww

Back