ALMOST pretty soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinO

Reaction score
I almost made pretty soap. It smells delightful. But then I cut it -- not so good. I had a chef's knife, so I used a chef's knife. I slid it off carefully, and one or two look ok. Was this too soft to cut? I gave it three days, but it's heavy on olive oil. Technique? Or do I just need a soap cutter to make a clean cut?
Thanks everyone.
15399026079801771964154.jpg

It is pretty, even if its got surface flaws. I would say yes, it was cut a little too soon and a chef knife didn't help. A wire cutter would really help, a cheese cutter is a good place to start.

It is pretty soap. You can try warming a table (dinner), knife and run it over the rough surfaces. That may help smooth them.

It’s pretty. Does look a bit soft. You can use a pastry cutter or wide Putty knife. Angled knives don’t cut the best. A cheese cutter works well.

It is pretty, even if its got surface flaws. I would say yes, it was cut a little too soon and a chef knife didn't help. A wire cutter would really help, a cheese cutter is a good place to start.
Thank you. An inexpensive cheese cutter is within my budget, and I like this recipe -- the next batch might be Christmas gifts if it looks a little prettier. Patience, unfortunately, is not for sale.

ErinO, that is really beautiful soap. Just call it "rustic." I'm curious about how you colored it, looks like natural colors. And I'm curious what your technique was, in the pot swirl? Wall pour? If you really want to see some Ug-Lee soap, see https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...enge-dancing-funnel-entry-thread.71221/page-2 :)
I'm not sure what you'd call it, But I've seen it done. The FO in the brown shade warned me of discoloration, but not of acceleration...which happened. So it was basically pouring pools of each color on top of each other to form concentric circles, with one that just plopped in lumps. And I have a rough relationship with micas, which is what I used. I was shooting for more vivid shades, but they looked nice together in the end.

It is pretty soap. You can try warming a table (dinner), knife and run it over the rough surfaces. That may help smooth them.
I'll try that.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are quite lovely. I'd love to see your next soaps. I didn't have anything quite so pretty for several months into soapmaking. The problem with Chef's knives is the wedge shape of the knife (as you look at it from the sharp edge toward the top spine), which is great for cutting meat, but not not at all good for cutting smooth surfaces of soap.

If you have the luck of finding a pastry cutter in a thrift store (I've found them there for under a dollar at least twice in the past year), it's a good investment for your soaping supplies. I even found one at a Dollar Stores in California last fall while visiting my eldest son. It worked just fine for cutting the soap I made while traveling. So you don't always have to buy the most expensive supplies.

Hi @ErinO!

That's very pretty soap.. Trust me, I know ugly lol as I have already done about 6 and only one turned nice enough, not even pretty lol

You'll get the hang of it soon, just keep soaping hehe :D

Latest posts

Back