Almost perfect -- but won't lather.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, wanna hear something very very weird???

When I made the original recipe, diluted it, let it sit for a week to settle then thickened it with the salt, I had put 16oz in a bottle for me to test and use, and sealed the other 110oz. up in a jar for later.

Fast-forward to the issue I've been having -- summary: So my 16oz tester wasn't lathering when I first tested at right after thickening, at wk1, or at wk2. Tried adding coconut oil soap to half of that. Not a good trade-off between lather and drying. Decided to make a new batch, divide into 3, test three thickeners. All 3 work ok, not sure what I like best yet, but that's not the weird thing....

What's weird is -- it's wk3, going on wk4 of the original batch. Just filled a fresh bottle from the 110oz. In the jar. Washed my hands with it. TONS of nice white bubbly lather. From the original recipe thickened with salt! Huh? Where did the suds come from all of a sudden??? Have I been stressing over nothing? It is now sudsing as well at 4wks as the 2nd batch with alternate thickeners does at 1wk. I'm soooooo confuzzled. :what:

I'm still going to lower the conditioning just a smidge, and will up the castor. But looks like I might be able to go with salt as a thickener after all? I'd love some insight on this!

Last edited:
Back