Almond Oil vs Sweet Almond Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I'm sure that while this is not labeled sweet almond oil, it is not bitter almond EO, and hopefully no cyanide.
:) It was less than $12 for 500ml. I actually got it more for lotion bars, but again, I thought it was sweet almond oil. But I jus checked, the company I bought it from doesn't sell a "sweet almond oil" and they are citing this as good for both cooking and skincare, so I'm thinking that, like Obsidian said, it's the same. I think maybe they just didn't want to add "sweet" since they are also talking about using it for cooking. :)

Yeah, some places drop the sweet depending on the use. The sweet was added just to differentiate from bitter almond.

I was surprised and disappointed first time I bought sao and it didn't have a sweet smell.

You can always add almond flavoring, containing the essentials from bitter almond oil (benzaldehyde) AFTER you have added the lye, saponification has set in and, basically, the time you add your scent. Benzaldehyde is essentially oxidized toluene and won't in and of itself become a soap. Idk how long this type of scent addition would last, but marzapan is one of my all time favorite tastes and smells (bear claws... mmmm).

You can always add almond flavoring, containing the essentials from bitter almond oil (benzaldehyde) AFTER you have added the lye, saponification has set in and, basically, the time you add your scent. Benzaldehyde is essentially oxidized toluene and won't in and of itself become a soap. Idk how long this type of scent addition would last, but marzapan is one of my all time favorite tastes and smells (bear claws... mmmm).
Food flavorings do not last well at all in soap. They will also cause a CP soap to seize due to the alcohol content.

It is always best to use an FO formulated specifically for soap.

Thank you for that. Im only aware of my own successes and i did not test using the store bought almond extract. I suppose i'll read up more..

Latest posts

Back