almond oil vs. sweet almond oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalgirl

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just started making soap and I am stocking up on supplies. I went to my local Indian grocery store to look for oils. I bought "almond oil". When I came home and started looking at recipes, everything said "Sweet almond oil". Are they the same thing? I've looked at various sites that give info on oil properties but none of them say straight "almond oil"

One more question: If you are making a smaller batch of soap, say less than 2 lbs does it have to sit for 24 hours? Yesterday I made a batch of 2 lb soap and when I touch the box there is no warmth coming from it. ( I did wrap it with towels. )

Thanks,
Opalgirl

I am pretty sure Almond Oil and Sweet Almond oil are different...*Shouts* Can an expert come over here and answer this?? :lol:

ALL of my batches are just a little bit under two pounds, I never let them sit for a full 24 hours, usually about 12 to 15 hours, or until the mold is right around room temp...I fully gel and that seems to harden the soap faster for unmolding, if I don't gel, sometimes I'll just let that soap sit in there for about a day and a half to two days as it seems SOOOO much softer and hard to handle...

What is gelling

Thanks for the info. I keep seeing gelling but my instruction video didn't say anything about gelling. What is it?

Regards,
Opalgirl

I cut the soap at 20 hours. Just couldn't wait.

Welll... Gelling is one of the big debates when it comes to CP....When you mix your lye solution ans your oils, it creates heat. That heat causes your soap to "gel". It becomes almost clear in your mold.

Personally, when making soap, I use a small wooden box my hubby made as a mold, I line it in freezer paper and then after I pour the soap in, I put a layer of Cling wrap on top, touching the soap. I then put a towel on top. After about an hour it has a full through gel... I CONSTANTLY check my soap like every two hours, just because I am crazy... After about 4 hours, when I know it has gelled completely, I take the towel off and let it cool. After about 12 hours, it's nice and hard.

There benefits to gelling and not gelling. I gel because:
!. I think (because my chemist sister told me) there HAS to be heat to have a complete chemical reaction. I'm paranoid about the saponification not being complete and selling or using something that could hurt.
2. It makes my colors WAY more vibrant.

The downfall, sometimes it can heat up too much and "burn off' your fo's. Tho, I have never had this happen. Also, "they" say, the high temps can destroy some of the oils qualities...

I am NO expert...but this is just how I do/see things... Come on people, chime in!!

Oils

There is 'Sweet Almond Oil" and "Bitter Almond Oil". Bitter Almond oil is toxic (contains cyanide) and not used for cosmetics/skin care products.

Some people use the names "Sweet Almond" and "Almond" oil — and they're talking about the same thing.

since I got it in a grocery store....

Hi,
Since I got the almond oil in a grocery store I can't believe they would put something toxic among the food. Not sure if I can return and I don't want to waste it. Anyone know what sweet almond oil would be used for in cooking?

Thanks again! I'm learning so much!
Opalgirl :D

Re: since I got it in a grocery store....

opalgirl said:
Hi,
Since I got the almond oil in a grocery store I can't believe they would put something toxic among the food. Not sure if I can return and I don't want to waste it. Anyone know what sweet almond oil would be used for in cooking?

Thanks again! I'm learning so much!
Opalgirl :D

Bitter almond oil is used as a flavoring, for certain extracts. The prussic acid is removed, for food.

Why not ask the grocer what type of oil it is? If it's in a small bottle like, an EO, it's probably not Sweet Almond Oil.

In the book- natural soapmaking about rebatch, it says that Almond and Sweet Almond oil is one of the best all purpose carrier oils and is nourishing to the skin, etc..They are actually different but only it a couple of ways- Sweet Almond Oil is extracted from higher quality and a different variety of almonds so this makes it more expensive but it's essentially the same thing with same properties.
Hope this helps

In this case it is probably same thing. If it was bitter almond oil you would know by the smell as it contains benzaldehyde

Back