Almond oil question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a really dumb question but how do I know if the almond oil I just purchased is sweet almond oil? This is the only type in Soapcalc.

I got it from the supermarket just from the oils section. Have I just purchased something I can't use or is no good in soap?

If you got it from the grocery store in the oils sections, it is "sweet almond oil." Bitter almond oil is toxic if ingested and they won't be selling it in the grocery store oil aisle. Bitter almonds contain cyanide.

If you got it from the grocery store in the oils sections, it is "sweet almond oil." Bitter almond oil is toxic if ingested and they won't be selling it in the grocery store oil aisle. Bitter almonds contain cyanide.

Thanks Teresa! I just discovered that after I posted! I really should be less lazy and try to find these answers out before asking! I just knew someone here would already know the answer.

Next question, what does it bring to the soap party and what sort of % do people use it at? That and avocado oil (just got some of that too).

Thanks Teresa! I just discovered that after I posted! I really should be less lazy and try to find these answers out before asking! I just knew someone here would already know the answer.

Next question, what does it bring to the soap party and what sort of % do people use it at? That and avocado oil (just got some of that too).

I have 2 soap recipes - one 30% almond and 1 30% avocado oil everything else is the same. Everyone raves about the almond oil one. I can't tell much difference but I am still testing. Both are lovely.

Last edited:

I love to use sweet almond and avocado. I don't use high amounts usually 10. In HP I liked to use sweet almond, apricot kernel and avocado together as superfats.

Last edited:
Back