All these little orange spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawninWA

Reaction score
I don't think this is DOS. The soap is not done curing, it's 3 weeks old.

Must be from the poppy seeds? Maybe they had some debris? Or the fragrance.

Recipe is 50% lard, 25% each coconut and Safflower (HO), 6% superfat. Dragon Fruit fragrance from Aztec, same red mica I've used for a year, poppy seeds, no other additives.
20190815_163413.jpg

20190815_163246.jpg

Smells ok, but I don't like the fragrance, I don't want to be stuck with 12 of these that I can't sell. Oh well, not the end of the world.

I made another batch the same day with the same ingredients (different fragrance, no poppy seeds, same mica, and it's fine).

I don't think it is a poppy seeds.
I had this happen too and narrowed it to the FO I used. I knew this because I usually do 4-8 batches at a time and this was the only one out of an 8 batch day. I think it turned at about 4 weeks for me.

Stinks when this happens :( I didn't like the scent either.

Well at least it's not a fragrance I'm attached to. I'll put them with my kitchen soap rebatch scraps, they'll get used.

How old was the oil when you made the soap? Was it stored in a hot area? Because that looks like classic DOS. I'd use it for dishes or gardening at home.

Yes, I just moved and made part of my new garage my soap studio. It gets hot in there. The oils were fairly young, the lard was new. I'll keep the oils in the house during summer.

It's a really nice soap, it'll be fine for home use. I'm happy with the recipe, I usually use lard or tallow at a higher rate, but 50% seems to be good.

Lol I just found my DOS soap I was talking about as I was packing for a show last week. :(
I still don't like the scent but I might try it in the shower

Back