All natural neon pink mica - does it exist?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen007

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum for a few months now, and I really appreciate all the info but this is my first post. Hopefully this is in the right section.

Me and my wife have been making soap for several months now. We are trying to find a bright/neonish pink that is all natural, free of any harsh chemicals or additives.

We have ordered mica from several sites - probably 5 different ones but they all come out very lackluster in color.

Is there a mica out there that could do what we want or should we be adding something to the color to make it 'pop'??

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen

You’re not going to find a neon or bright pink natural colorant. Not sure where you live but Nurture Soap Supplies has awesome micas and they test them all in CP soap. Their neons and other pinks are great

I have read somewhere that every cosmetic grade colored mica and pigments in America are synthetic, because the FDA have banned the use of natural mica and pigments for safety reasons (heavy metal impurities and such). I don't know if that is the case, but if it is, then you can't find a natural mica pigment unless you order from somewhere abroad (but then I think the FDA bans you from using it in cosmetic products). Natural is not always best, if you risk too high levels of mercury, for example. On the other hand, synthetics can also be made with illegal substances.

Maybe this is completely wrong. You have to investigate to find out. But it must be synthetic made mica-based pearlescent pigments for food, it seems (if I understood it right). Here is where I got it from:https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrie...119ff448488cbd70b&r=PART&n=21y1.0.1.1.27#_top

I would not order for prom outside the country. Need to use cosmetic grade that is high PH stable. I want something that will work without dumping money into something that won’t work or worse isn’t safe. Not worth the risk or cost

Yeah, I'm not going to order out of country but thanks for the info.

Is there anything natural that you can mix into the colors to make them 'pop's? Anything like TD does for white?

Unfortunately not. I make a red by mixing a neon or bright pink with some red oxide. There is a pink ultramarine but it’s pretty light. I use some oxides and some ultramarines but mostly micas.

Also, gelling the soap will generally make colors pop more.

Last edited:
Gel can make colors pop. You’ll have to experiment with what you usually use to see what works for you.

I personally have never noticed a difference in colors but it has never been a priority for me. I mostly gel to decrease unmolding times

Back