All my soap in complete DOS help!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Obsidian - I think it's a storage issue.

I have never used Lebermuth OMH, but I have used one from Brambleberry and it's very almondy.

My other question is, did you use the same mold for both the DOS soaps and the non-DOS soaps? I ask b/c I poured a batch scented with a coconut FO into 1 column mold and into individual molds. The column mold batch smells like plastic and the individual mold batch smells coconutty and nice. My theory is that the column mold batch gotter hotter and stayed hot longer than the individual mold batch and that affected the FO. This is probably a long shot.

Dixiedragon: yes both soaps are from the same batch in the same mold, I used a 2" pvc tube.

That is why my question about what can be the possibility of some of them getting rancid and other stay completely clean.

The soaps came from the same recipe, same mold, same date.

Thanks for let me know this fragrance is almondy, it is a very nice fragrance.

Ive had that happen. Its the humidity and the box in combination with the recipe. Doesnt matter if it was cool in the house, the humidity can go through the boxes. My guess about the ones that didnt dos is that they were ones either at an end of the tube or on a side of the box nearest more air circulation. Funny how the rancid ones have such a nice later though isnt it?

Irishlash, thank you for the info, I love to read everything about soap, I do have Kevin Dunn's book but my husband was interested in reading this particular book, so he is the one with the book right now. But I read both pages (links) and both were very interesting. Thank you.

Bodhi, yes it is very strange, the soap smell slightly rancid but when you wash your hands and rinse it the smell is gone, I will imagine the smell stays. And as well I though the lather will not be the same, but again nothing change with the soap, just the odor and the color.
DSC_6688_zpsc5c4d4d5.jpg

Don't toss the rice bran oil, especially without smelling it first. Information I consider scientifically reputable suggests RBO is quite stable. This is because RBO is a good source of tocopherol antioxidents. Vitamin E is a tocopherol, as is the T50 you've been using, godschild. Check this out to help you evaluate:
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2009/11/rice-bran-oil.html

I'm not a chemist or really great soaper so I might be wrong. But the warnings I keep seeing about RBO on this forum don't pan out in my own investigation or in my own experience. It's quite expensive where I live so I use it sparingly -which means I try to make it last. No problems with year old oil or year old soap.

Back on track... I can't definitively answer the OPs original questions, but it is odd that the problem surfaced after so long, and only after the soaps were stowed away for awhile.

My question would be: do you live in a warm humid environment? I think that is different than cool and humid when it comes to developing dos so my range of experience may be too limited for your situation. Good luck in figuring it out.
I use rice bran oil a lot and never have trouble with DOS. I add a little Vit. E to each batch of soap. I store my soaps in the open air for a couple of months before wrapping.

lsg, what will be the biggest amount of RBO you had used? and what do you use to wrap your soaps? I have the the shrinkwrap with tiny perforated holes, still new as I never used. Now with the DOS problem I'm afraid of wrap my soaps with that.

What do you think?

I usually use from 20% to 30%. I use a variety of wrappings from soap boxes with labels to homemade half boxes and shrink wrap. If you think you have DOS, I would not wrap the soap in shrink wrap. Instead I would use a shoe box or other box with a lid and store the soap in there, unwrapped. You can poke holes in the top and sides of the box to encourage air flow. If you live in an area with high humidity, you might want to invest in a small room dehumidifier. I have one in every room of my finished basement. I store my unwrapped soap in my basement craft room. You can also add Vit. E directly to your oils as soon as you get them. I have also stored short lived oils in my freezer and refrigerator. I do not consider rice bran oil a short-lived oil. I order it 6 gallons at a time from Riceland and store the unopened containers in my basement. I haven't had a problem yet with it.

I usually use from 20% to 30%. I use a variety of wrappings from soap boxes with labels to homemade half boxes and shrink wrap. If you think you have DOS, I would not wrap the soap in shrink wrap. Instead I would use a shoe box or other box with a lid and store the soap in there, unwrapped. You can poke holes in the top and sides of the box to encourage air flow. If you live in an area with high humidity, you might want to invest in a small room dehumidifier. I have one in every room of my finished basement. I store my unwrapped soap in my basement craft room. You can also add Vit. E directly to your oils as soon as you get them. I have also stored short lived oils in my freezer and refrigerator. I do not consider rice bran oil a short-lived oil. I order it 6 gallons at a time from Riceland and store the unopened containers in my basement. I haven't had a problem yet with it.

lsg, thank you for all your advices, I normally do some of them, the only one I never though and I think it is very important as well is the dehumidifier. I never thought in buying one as I know the A/C works a little bit as one. But I will invest in one.

It's good to know about Riceland, I bought mine in Brambleberry and just ordered one from Soapers choice, the price was very good.

Last edited:
The rice bran oil from Riceland is food grade, so I use it for cooking as well as soap. Riceland's price, along with the shipping, compares very favorably with other suppliers, when you buy 6 gallons at a time.

Oh noooooo! I have all this RBO and want to toss it out my back door because of DOS possibility. I've added T-50 to it and I put T-50 in each batch of soap. Hopefully that will help. Thinking of just cooking with the 6 gal I have and buying some more OO. The only OO I have around is EVOO though and it's all expensive. Head in hands.
I bottle my oils in plastic and put them in the freezer. I had to buy another freezer for my garage, just for the oils. They will keep a very long time. Also, you can purchase Rice Bran Oil, inexpensively, if you have an Asian Grocery store in your area. I got a half gallon for a little over $5. No shipping fees. If you soap RBO at 5-8%, you generally will not get DOS from it.

Godschild, I use Riceland rice bran oil at 20% to 30%, in most of my soaps and have never had a problem with DOS. I add a little Vit. E to each batch of soap.

lsg: thanks for the tip, I like to use as my ingredients as much as it's possible organic and food grade. The vit-E that you add it is T-50 or a regular one that came in capsules. Where I live it is the only Vit-E I can find.

Cici: A month ago I told my husband...I need a fridge for my oils, so that is in my list.

I think it is wise to add roe or Vit. E to large containers of base oils. My rice bran oil comes in one gallon jugs so it is not all opened at the same time.

Hi, I always add ROE to my oils as soon as I opened, and again when I'm making the soap I add it to the oils and even with that I had the problem with the soap.

cmzaha: Can you please tell me what percentage you use in your oils? mine is 1 drop per ounce.

Latest posts

Back