All lard is NOT created equal.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovedoxies

Reaction score
So I bought a small tub of lard at Wal Mart and it was nice and firm. I used it up and my soap turned out great. I invested in a 25 lb tub from SaveALot and it is much much softer and I've made 2 batches of soap from it and I am NOT happy with the results.

They are squishy and are hell to get out of the mold.

Yes, it was Armour that I liked too.

The icky lard was Field brand.

.. now I need to come up with something to do with 19 lbs of lard not fit for soap making. :shock:

craigs list... sell it for the price that you bought it for minus what you used. Somebody will buy it.

I love the Armour Brand Wal-Mart carries. I buy it in the 25 pound buckets.

I've only seen shortening/lard at Wal-Mart in 3lb buckets. Where do you find the 25 pounders?

GrumpyOldWoman said:
I love the Armour Brand Wal-Mart carries. I buy it in the 25 pound buckets.

I've only seen shortening/lard at Wal-Mart in 3lb buckets. Where do you find the 25 pounders?

Bottom shelf under the 1 pound cubes and the 3 pound buckets. Big green bucket. :wink:

Paul :)

This is not me in the picture, but here is what it looks like;

lard.jpg

Some Super Wal-Marts have it, some don't.

Paul :wink:

Lane said:
Soapmaker Man said:
This is not me in the picture, but here is what it looks like;
You take random pics of people shopping?? :wink: :lol:
It's probably Paul in the pic but he just doesn't want to admit that he looks like a dork. ;) ;) ;)

Nope, it's a picture off the internet I found when I Googled Armour Lard.

I'm not that dorkey looking, or young.:lol:

Paul :wink:

I figured you looked up "soapmaking dork" in an Internet dictionary and got the picture there.
rofl.gif

You can also buy a 50lb cube of it from Soapers Choice. When I calculated the costs versus Walmart if I were to buy 2 tubs, I actually saved money per pound ordering it online.

ilovedoxies said:
I forgot to add that the cheap lard took twice as long to trace. Like 45 minutes with the help of a stick blender.
Wow. I don't want anything but sleep to last that long! ;)

I've never had any recipe that didn't trace within about 20 minutes, usually about 5-10 minutes.

I know!! :shock: At 30 minutes I was like, "come on!!" Finally at 45 it had traced enough to where I felt comfortable with putting it into the mold.

No more Field lard for moi.

When you buy lard do you have to make it into tallow? I have some pig fat that's been sitting in my freezer for a few years (I used to buy my pig meat from a local diary farmer). Anyway, I would like to try using the stuff for soaping.

I'm getting a 1/2 a side of steer next week and have requested the tallow - boy everyone is giving me their beef fat! I don't know if I'm more excited about getting some great tasting steaks or getting FAT!! :lol:

Doxies - you can cook with Lard, just substitute it for any fat you have in a recipe. I've been told that using lard to make fried chicken makes it taste excellent.

I just use it straight out of the bucket.

I've been talking to a couple of guys from whork one grew up on a farm and the other's grandma had one. They said that to get the fat from the pig, it had to be melted and cooked. They didn't remember for how long.

PrincessMommy said:
When you buy lard do you have to make it into tallow? I have some pig fat that's been sitting in my freezer for a few years (I used to buy my pig meat from a local diary farmer). Anyway, I would like to try using the stuff for soaping.

I'm getting a 1/2 a side of steer next week and have requested the tallow - boy everyone is giving me their beef fat! I don't know if I'm more excited about getting some great tasting steaks or getting FAT!! :lol:

Lard = cleaned and processed pig fat
Beef Tallow = cleaned and processed beef fat

Put the fat in a kettle (outside because it will stink the whole house really bad) with equal amounts of water and boil until the fat completely melts. Once it does just put the lid on and leave it until the fat cools and hardens on top. All the impurities will fall to the bottom of the pot and the fat will float on top. Scoop from pot and it's ready to use.

I'm thinking of asking the butcher for some beef fat to give this a try. :D Not sure if I'm crazy or not!

Latest posts

Back