Aleppo Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christa10

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2022
Messages
156
Reaction score
211
Location
Fullerton, CA
A few weeks ago, with Zany's input, I made her no slime olive oil castile soap and some aleppo soap. They have been curing for a while but aren't ready to use yet. Here are some pictures of the aleppo soap. I had done some research that suggested to use 40% laurel berry instead of 20%, so I made a small batch with that mix and it really came to trace quickly. I had to pack it into the mold with a spatula! But it seems to be fine so far and I will now wait for a few more weeks to test it out. Hopefully it will work well for my cousin's problem skin.
 

Attachments

  • aleppo.jpg
    aleppo.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 25
A few weeks ago, with Zany's input, I made her no slime olive oil castile soap and some aleppo soap. They have been curing for a while but aren't ready to use yet. Here are some pictures of the aleppo soap. I had done some research that suggested to use 40% laurel berry instead of 20%, so I made a small batch with that mix and it really came to trace quickly. I had to pack it into the mold with a spatula! But it seems to be fine so far and I will now wait for a few more weeks to test it out. Hopefully it will work well for my cousin's problem skin.
You will have to keep us posted when you start testing. I was drawn to Aleppo soap because of the scent and the history. I bought some from a local ethnic shop. I found it too slimy for my taste, but still loved the scent.
 
Where did you get your LBO? I made five test batches last year that I'm going to start testing in May. I got my oil from Bescented. I don't think any of mine look as nice (or as light) as yours. Maybe because I tried 50/50??

My first two batches I did 40% lye concentration because I ASSumed that I would have plenty of work life... WRONG! I barely got them in the mold! Each batch I reduced the lye concentration and oil/lye temps and increased the SF. On the 4th batch @ 30% lye con, 4% SF and 80 degree temps I did two shots with the SB and stirred to a thin trace. Still was thick by the time I tried to do a simple swirl on the top. #5 was 28% lye concentration and I couldn't get it out of the mold for 3 weeks so obviously I took it a little too far :rolleyes:

The scent is another story... #1 was unscented and I really disliked it. On #2 I tried an EO blend at 6% PPO - the LBO still overpowered. In fact, the note on my log sheet says, "The scent of the LBO is so offensive the patchouli doesn't phase it. It's in the garage to keep it from stinking up the house - smells like burned out campfire."

For 3 & 4 I tried other EO blends with the same result. For #5 I tried a blend of NS Earth Meets Sky FO and Spearmint EO and the smell was finally bearable. I still mainly smell the LBO with a hint of fragrance.

I gave up after that. I'm usually a glutton for punishment (and stubborn), but I just couldn't bring myself to purchase any more stinky & expensive LBO :)

Next month will be 1 year for the first two, July for the last three. Now, thanks to your post, I'm looking forward to testing them!
 
Back
Top