"Aleppo" Soap -- halfway through cure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first shot at it. Now 6 months old, 6 more to go. It sure has that unique laurel oil aroma.

This is hot process except the laurel berry oil was added at the end and it finished saponifying in the mold. I used a slight excess of lye.

Aleppo.jpg

Really nice looking soap - the stamp and natural color really complement it. I haven't smelled laurel oil. Does it smell like good quality olive+hemp? That's how I'm imagining it.

Really nice looking soap - the stamp and natural color really complement it. I haven't smelled laurel oil. Does it smell like good quality olive+hemp? That's how I'm imagining it.

It smells -- unique. It's herbal in a peculiar way. I've heard people who don't like the smell describe it as a dirty ashtray or something like that. With a little imagination I can see how they're interpreting it that way, but I don't have that problem with it. We'll see when I actually use the soap. It's been out of sight and out of mind to cure properly apart from taking this pic.

Will be glad to send you one towards the end of the year if you're curious. Unless it sucks.

It smells -- unique. It's herbal in a peculiar way. I've heard people who don't like the smell describe it as a dirty ashtray or something like that. With a little imagination I can see how they're interpreting it that way, but I don't have that problem with it. We'll see when I actually use the soap. It's been out of sight and out of mind to cure properly apart from taking this pic.

Will be glad to send you one towards the end of the year if you're curious. Unless it sucks.

I'd love that!

I have a funny nose. Pt smells nice to me, but neem is the most horrid thing ever.

Now I'm jealous!

Please do keep us posted.

I can't say I have much of an opinion. Where did you get the laurel oil, if you don't mind my asking? I've been reading a little about these soaps and it looks like I could try my hand at them.

Looks nice! I've been wondering what a slightly lye heavy Aleppo style soap would be like. What % laurel berry oil did you use?

I posted some update photos on my Aleppo style soaps if anyone cares to look at the color differences.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=602028#post602028

I'm wondering what causes the color difference with your's, topofmurrayhill? Is it the lye excess? My soaps don't seem to be oxidizing like the real thing, and I was thinking of trying a lye excess next to see what happens.

Latest posts

Back