Alcohol spray after unmolding?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinbago27

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently heard a soaper say that she sprays her CP soap with alcohol after unmolding...Have you heard of that before? Does that work?

I know I can try it, but as usual, I know I can get info from my soap family.

Thank you!

For removal of soda ash you mean?
I've forgone the use of alcohol (after the pour) as i found it wasn't that successful and sometimes left 'spots' on the surface. I'd rather have the soda ash TBH. If I have particularly bad soda ash I might 'wash' the top of the loaf before cutting.

Same as @KiwiMoose. I've never tried spraying after unmolding, but given the price of alcohol, I'd either live with the ash or wash/steam it off.

With certain soaps that will always ash (soaps with AC, for instance), I keep them covered for another week after unmolding and cutting. That really seems to help, probably because the rest of the lye saponifies rather than turning into ash.

Last edited:
I found that spritzing with alcohol gives cut bars a high sheen, dimishes pock marks and blemishes, and hardens the surface. I hardly ever do that though. But it is pretty. :)

Thanks All! I have not had particular success spraying with alcohol after molding, so always looking for ideas... I think its my environment. I live In Maryland (DC area) and it tends to be humid, especially upstairs of my house where I soap.

Latest posts

Back