• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Soap Making Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ingredients For Sale Alaskan Glacial Mud

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DISCLAIMER: SMF is not responsible for any sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other transactions between members. All parties enter into transactions at their own will/risk.

I am not listing this yet as I just want to see if there is any interest before I do. I just wanted to include the disclaimer in case it would be required to post in this section, which is where I think it should go.

Question. If I buy this, will my soap look like that? 🤣

I'll take however much you can stuff in a small flat box up to 5lbs. I want it for personal use though I suppose I can try it in a soap.

Last edited:
I can look into that @AliOop. A quick check for a small flat rate box saved $0.55. The medium flat rate box saved $1.75. I'm just trying to keep this easy for myself. Does anyone know if this is available for people who don't have a business?
Yes. I use it all the time for my personal mailing.

Definitely off subject, but when I lived in the interior of Alaska we cleared an area of our land to form a volleyball court. A friend brought us a dump truck filled with glacial sand/mud for the court. After the first v'ball party we had the court was like concrete and my husband had to devise a plow/rake for his 4-wheeler to stir up the court so we wouldn't end up in the OR with broken bones. At the time I don't believe there were any beauty products for sale, but we all sat around wondering what else the sand could be used for. I do have a coffee mug that someone threw on their pottery wheel, but it wasn't a big seller! Who knew that I should have brought some of the v'ball court with me when we moved down here! LOL

Dibbles, LOL, after selling off most everything I am getting the bug again and will probably soap after my move next year. I will take 2lbs if you have enough when you get it. You should be able to pack two lbs in a regional B box. These are slightly smaller than flat rate medium boxes but cost less to send. You cannot get them from the post office but have to order them online from USPS and use the flat rate option mailing by weight when using Regional boxes. I am not sure if 2 lbs will fit in a Regional A box, but 1 lb will. The boxes are free but I always found it took up to 2 weeks for USPS to get them to me.

I haven't tried this since the pandemic, but sometimes when USPS was taking too long to send me their free boxes, I'd pop in to a local PO and pick them up from their racks. Does anyone know if they still have stuff out in the racks, or has that gone away due to infection concerns?

I haven't tried this since the pandemic, but sometimes when USPS was taking too long to send me their free boxes, I'd pop in to a local PO and pick them up from their racks. Does anyone know if they still have stuff out in the racks, or has that gone away due to infection concerns?
Probably depends on where you live. In my travels, I have seen them less and less in some city and small town Post Offices in some states, but they are still on racks in my small town.

I will pick up the clay and see how much will fit in the boxes, and then create a new post for anyone who is interested. I think I'll be getting about 30 pounds, and as I said earlier, I don't want to store more than a couple of pounds for my own use. I did set up an account with Pirate Ship and if it works, I'll use that to save you all a bit on the shipping. As of right now, I am inclined to stick with using the flat rate boxes, and payment will be PayPal only.

@AliOop our post office does still have some boxes out. It's kind of hit or miss what is available, but I have to drive by often enough and can stop in to check. Last fall shipping boxes I ordered took almost a month to get here.

Sounds good! You can always use whatever boxes you have lying around, too. It requires an extra step to measure and weigh, but I'm guessing you just might have the necessary tools for that around your home. ;)

Thank you for all you are doing to help your friend - and us. 💖

does it fizz when you put acid on it ? i have heard its not good to put carbonate in soap and it may contain ground up limestone, limestone is calcium carbonate

I have never seen the regional boxes available on the racks, at least not in So Cal. When I was destashing I used Pirate ship for cubic rates when it was possible, but it was pesky to find or cut down boxes to fit the cubic requirements, otherwise Pirate did not save much. Regional Boxes saved the most when I could use them even if I had to use more than one. The post office makes you think you cannot use them for personal shipping, only commercial which I think is why they are not stocked in the offices. I ship a lot to my daughter in Nevada and always use Regional boxes, in my opinion, they are really worth the wait for delivery to me.

Last edited:
does it fizz when you put acid on it ? i have heard its not good to put carbonate in soap and it may contain ground up limestone, limestone is calcium carbonate
No, it doesn't fizz. I hydrate it in some batch water and add it to my oils before the lye solution goes in if I am not splitting for color. In the soap posted above I split off 1/4 of emulsified batter and added kaolin to that and the glacial clay to the other 3/4 - water amount proportionate to the amount of batter.

FWIW I made up a Small Flat Rate Box. Lined it with a Gallon ZipLoc. Set it on my scale and poured in some sugar. It held a pound and 1/2 (24 oz.) with about an inch of headroom. Clay may take more or less room.
payment will be PayPal only.
I no longer have PayPal ever since my account was hacked at Christmas a few years back to the tune of $1500.00. So, I guess I'm out. :(

DISCLAIMER: SMF is not responsible for any sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other transactions between members. All parties enter into transactions at their own will/risk.

I am not listing this yet as I just want to see if there is any interest before I do. I just wanted to include the disclaimer in case it would be required to post in this section, which is where I think it should go.

I have a friend who was making product for a company. She is no longer doing that and has a LOT of this Alaskan Glacial Mud, taking up too much room that she now needs for, well, personal reasons. You can read about the mud here: Wildly Potent Glacial Mineral Skincare | Powered by Mother Nature | Made in Alaska It sells for $45/lb on Amazon. This is a nice additive to soap and makes wonderful masks and that sort of thing. I have made soap with it at 1 tsp PPO, and the color ends up looking like the picture below. I told her I would see if there was any interest here. She really doesn't want much for it and I will sell it for her for $5.00 a pound plus $9.20 for a small flat rate shipping box, so $14.20 total. I don't have it here at the moment, but am assuming 1 lb will fit into the small flat rate box. Please let me know if this would be of interest to any of you. I don't want to end up with a big bucket of this that I have to store. I don't have room either. If enough people are interested, I will create a proper listing.

View attachment 62059
Interested for sure!

I will pick up the clay and see how much will fit in the boxes, and then create a new post for anyone who is interested. I think I'll be getting about 30 pounds, and as I said earlier, I don't want to store more than a couple of pounds for my own use. I did set up an account with Pirate Ship and if it works, I'll use that to save you all a bit on the shipping. As of right now, I am inclined to stick with using the flat rate boxes, and payment will be PayPal only.

@AliOop our post office does still have some boxes out. It's kind of hit or miss what is available, but I have to drive by often enough and can stop in to check. Last fall shipping boxes I ordered took almost a month to get here.
Hi dibbles ! How fun! I would love to try this for me and my daughters to start out and see what happens. I would like two pounds if it’ll work with everyone.

Back